Is the perceived value of music decreasing?

really guys, the commercial/popular music industry hasnt changed one bit, its always been that way. Decades ago so many people only bought 45rpm singles. With many many bands albums were loaded with second rate songs. Hell Zepp even had some songs I just couldnt get "why" ? That pop stuff is and always has been for average Joes, housewives and teeny bop girls, some people just like it light and catchy, I like it that way sometimes. We had crappy pop in the 60's, animal and insect bands, vocal harmony "singing groups", the Motown formula, then it was lame in the 70's with hordes of one hit wonders, then came disco, then came new wave, many keyboard only bands dripping with electronica, then hip hop, hordes of cloned pop metal bands who only had a decent song here and there, hell even many heavy metal bands were more of the same ol', then the big grunge/post grunge/noise thing, rap... whatever, you name it, its all had sucky moments. In the 35 years I've been buying music I havent seen anything change, pick and choose thats what I have always done. Today there is so much music and shit out there its overwhelming, find what you like and enjoy it.

Nobody really talked about this one, but I personally don't think the album is dying completely. Singles stand alone, especially now since they can be downloaded, but on albums like that it has always been that way. Albums that are great all the way through and have the songs build off of each other like Symphony X's Paradise Lost are better enjoyed whole. Also, popular artists need a way to sell their shit songs because if they only made singles they would only have like 20 songs or something in a career and that wouldn't work.

the "shit songs" shouldn't be sold at all, that was kinda my whole point in the post where i mentioned Elvis