Is the song "Stairway to Heaven" way overrated ?

Random confusing points and views of mine, in other words this is not well written and bounces all over hell:

Alot of that is old news. I've heard Killing Floor and knew right away thats where part of the lyrics came from, however the song (Lemon Song) in not the same. They listed Willie Dixon a few times on "I" if I recall. The Whole Lotta love thing I would like to hear as well as Stairway. I agree its wrong to plagorize. I also remember thinking how poor and silly the lyrics on especially the first two albums were and that they reminded of the old blues lyrics. That said, they made music for those songs in a way that was unlike anything heard before. I cant speak for the Yardbirds sound. Anything Ive heard by them which is little I really dont like. No where in that artical does it state that Page used Becks solos, only that he took old Yardbird ideas and jams, finished them and recorded them and took credit for them. I've always know the funk rythmn from The Crunge was similiar to typical funk jams. Wasnt there a cliche Nashville country song on Physical Graffiti ? BFD!

Nice that they leave out how fickle the music industry itself was in those days and put it all on Page. Im not saying its not wrong but they (Zep & managment) did what ever they did to make it and its a page in hard rocks history that would be all fucked up if it was missing.

Beck and Page play nothing alike. I have heard some of Becks early works back in the 70's and made NO Zeppelin or Page connection what so ever. If a relisten today would prove similiarities I would say big deal, its common for two players that played together to pick up on each other.

I never remember hearing it said that Page was the first to take a bow to a guitar. I bet it was done even earlier than the people they mention.

Led Zeppelin 1 was a blues album taken heavy... well NO SHIT! I knew that when I was a kid back in the day. Blues onto itself was not very origional. Not writting your own lyrics is another thing. But Hendrix, Clapton & Page took the blues further. If Beck did I cant say, and I am a Beck fan, but more of his later stuff in the mid 70's when he was inspired into fusion by Tommy Bolin and Jan Hammer, best move he ever made because the Jeff Beck Group did not take him very far, it was Blow by Blow and Wired that set him at the forefront of guitar men.

This author is another one trying to place old heavy blues and hard rockers as origionaters of metal but its bullshit. Big influence yes but the sound and technique is totally different. The psychodelic angle of his I dont get because I never heard Zep do the psychodelic thing. In fact they may have put an end to it. That shit got old quick and ended quick in the late 60's.

I was/am also a huge Humble Pie fan. Rockin the Fillmore KICKED ASS in its day and introduced us to the young Peter Frampton. Humble Pie is the band that Steve Marriot of the Small Faces put together after the Small Faces. They were a hard rock/boogie band for sure but sound nothing like Led Zeppelin. Marriot had a great voice, high shrill raspy and powerful voice and Im not suprised to hear that he influenced Robert Plant but Plants voice was his own not Marriots. Humble Pies riffs and runs were nothing like Pages. Many of Peter Framptons signature voiced licks and improv can be heard on Rockin the Fillmore that he revisted on the infamous "Frampton Comes Alive" = should we shoot him ? Hell today Ive heard "the greatest guitar players ever" repeat licks or multi note runs multiple times in the same friggin solo. Its not uncommon for a guitar player to pull out old tricks or riffs he never really finished into something he was satisfied with.

Theres no excuse for not giving credit where credit is due but that doesnt change the fact that Led Zeppelin was a one of a kind band that severely changed the face of rock and stood at the forefront of hard rock. Then in their maturity they continously evolved and Physical Graffiti and Presence were great recordings.

Led Zeppelin is the same as I recently said about Hendrix, they were great and really changed music but people need to know and accept their short falls and see them as they really are not flawless and not Gods, just very very important in the big picture.

Stairway to Heaven still kicks ass but its time for the radio to stop playing it.

Jimmy Page is in no way overrated, he pretty much comes up with a few good riffs for every single song they have.

I'm not talking about riffs, but his lead playing abilities for which he's praised day in day out... Yes, he has a number of great leads (Since I've Been Loving You, for example), but he's mostly a rather dirty player... I much prefer his acoustic guitar playing to his electric guitar.
And his producing skills I've never disputed, ever!
Damn, if nothing he's the first to record the drums properly like "thud... slam...", not "tock... bong...". ;)

And comparing Beck and Page as guitarists is really pointless, as Beck is lightyears above Page as a player...

And peak is like peaking at something, you mean pique.

No, I mean peak as in peaking, being on top.

I'm not talking about riffs, but his lead playing abilities for which he's praised day in day out... Yes, he has a number of great leads (Since I've Been Loving You, for example), but he's mostly a rather dirty player... I much prefer his acoustic guitar playing to his electric guitar.
And his producing skills I've never disputed, ever!
Damn, if nothing he's the first to record the drums properly like "thud... slam...", not "tock... bong...". ;)

And comparing Beck and Page as guitarists is really pointless, as Beck is lightyears above Page as a player...

No, I mean peak as in peaking, being on top.

thats the truth. beck is so underrated

Obvious! :Smug: Page even played bass in the Yardbirds while Beck was the guitar.

It was shortly after the sessions that produced Yardbirds (aka, Roger The Engineer) that Paul Samwell-Smith decided to leave the group and work behind the console as a record producer. Jimmy Page re-entered the picture, agreeing to play bass until rhythm guitarist Chris Dreja could become comfortable with that instrument, and then teaming with Beck for tantalising twin-guitar attacks.

*From Wikipedia the bold is mine*

NP: Andre Matos - 'Time To Be Free'

I prefer to be on bottom, it's less work.

(IMO) Beck was way better than Page in the Yardbirds, but Beck's solo albums are like ballsacks compared to every Led Zeppelin album.

Some Christians are always bashing the song because it supposedly in a subtle manner trying to convince you to deviate from the good path, etc. :rolleyes:

I just know that definitively AC/DC wrote 'Highway To Hell' to mock STH, and even if overplayed too I like it way better than the Zep song :headbang:

NP: Amaran's Plight - 'Reflections pt.1'

"Bon Scott who came from a Perth in Western Australia where his local pub (The Raffles Hotel) was on Canning Highway, the pub was at the bottom of a very steep section of Canning Hwy and an intersection which saw so many road crashes it became known as the highway to hell. If you listen to the lyrics it becomes very obvious that Bon is going down to his local pub for a drink,and good times with his mates - and to get there he'd travel the Highway To Hell - Canning Hwy."

This is one story of H.W.T.H. I've heard others............

STH is a perfect mix of Zeps heavy blues/Rock tracks off the 1st 2 lp's & some of the acoustic stuff off Zep III IMHO.

So to answer your question no! A great song, that is why it was played to death on rock radio. If you have not listened to the song in a long time (maybe years) & then do I believe you will say to yourself after "Wow what a great song" It stands the test of time.

If you have not listened to the song in a long time (maybe years) & then do I believe you will say to yourself after "Wow what a great song" It stands the test of time.

What happens in the reverse case (mine) I hadn't listended to it for years since I don't play radio, but a couple of weeks ago it was on the job in a radio and I didn't even paid attention to it (which doesn't happens with 'Paranoid', 'Hair Of the Dog', 'Smoke Of The Water' or other songs played that day).

NP: Primal Fear - 'Fighting The Darkness'

There are a handful of great albums (IMO) that I played out so much in my younger days that I intentionally avoid them and their songs as often as possible. If I dont, I cant bear to listen to them.

Zep's ZOSO album is one of those (along with Maiden's Number, Piece, and Powerslave). I just cant listen to these more than twice a year.

After refraining from this Zep classic for months, it blows me away when I finally break down and play it. "Stairway" is just that amazing.

Is "Stairway to Heaven" overrated ? I say LZ is a little overrated, but the song itself is not. What a great song !! It statrts slow and melodic and ends up driving and heavy. Great solo as well.

Bryant

Not overrated just overplayed is the more proper term... but great song nonetheless... have heard it on the radio lately when driving to or from work... I loved the live version on the Song Remains the Same album/video...