Is the term "hero" used much too liberally these days?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Every time I open a newspaper or - for the love of godlessness - turn on the TV, I'm bombarded with odes to the "heroes". Every policeman, firemen, milkman, etc ad nauseum, is now labelled a hero for simply doing the day-to-day job that he/she chose.

When words are used to freely, they begin to lose their true meaning.

The term "terrorist" also comes to mind.

<< pointless ranting complete >>

when you save someone's life you are basically doing what a "hero" does. Isn't that what policemen, firemen, and doctors do almost every day?

Xorv said:
when you save someone's life you are basically doing what a "hero" does. Isn't that what policemen, firemen, and doctors do almost every day?

Arguably so. However, members of these professions have been doing this for aeons. In past times, they were simply professionals doing what they were trained - and are paid - to do. Today, everyone is a "hero"? No.

Xorv said:
A Hero is someone that save's someone's life. Simple as that. If you saved a baby from being runned over by a car. You are a hero.

But what if you save someone who in turn kills many others? Or if you have to kill one or several others in order to save their life? Are you still a hero?

Well.....there are different kinds of heroes. It probably is overused though, bringing down the level that being considered a "hero" gives you.

SoundMaster said:
Every time I open a newspaper or - for the love of godlessness - turn on the TV, I'm bombarded with odes to the "heroes". Every policeman, firemen, milkman, etc ad nauseum, is now labelled a hero for simply doing the day-to-day job that he/she chose.

The term "peacekeeper" also comes to mind.

It's a subtle form of political branding, to encourage us to think as gov't/business want us to think.

Profit, it is.

SoundMaster said:

hehe milkman