Is there a difference between XLR vs instrument monitoring

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
Hi i just upgraded to the Yamaha HS8OM.

I previously had the rokit 5s i used an instrument cable to connect from Monitor to Interface.

I was wondering since these have XLR on the back of the monitors, is there a difference between XLR and Instrument cable?

That back of my toneport ux2 interface for monitor output has instrument jacks only. So i would have to buy an XLR to INSTRUMENT or just buy XLR > XLR with an XLR> Instrument adapter.

What do you guys think?

Well you can't accidently unplug XLR cables because they have a lock function (mostly), and XLR is in 99,99% a balanced connection. "Instrument cables", are either TRS connectors or instrument jacks. If they are TRS connectors and you use it with a monitor it's a balanced connection just like XLR, if it's just an instrument cable you are using an unbalanced connection. Not sure if the UX2 has balanced outputs though. You can't make an unbalanced output a balanced output with just a cable. Most monitors except perhaps the really cheap ones have balanced inputs in either TRS or XLR - or both, some cheaper monitors also offer unbalanced 1/4 instrument jacks or cinch connectors.

The advantages of a balanced connection over an unbalanced should be obvious.

According to the manual the YAMAHA monitors inputs are balanced it says

"INPUT 1/2 connector-
These are balanced XLR-type and phone type input
connectors.
Do NOT use both the XLR and Phone type connector at the same
time. Please connect to only one of these connectors."

Im guessing the phone type is talking about the TRS input since it is the same exact input.

And according to the LINE 6 website, the toneport ux2 analogy 1/2 outputs are balanced.

" The Analog Outs 1/2 on the UX2 are balanced."

So it looks like im safe using these insrument (trs) cables. thanks

You keep saying "instrument" but that isn't what we need to know. 1/4" is the formal term for an "instrument" type jack, and they come in two types, TS and TRS. TS is typical for "instrument" level audio with only two connections per jack, and TRS is a balanced audio connection with three connections per jack. There is, in theory, no difference between using a TRS cable and an XLR cable, and sometimes they will even use the exact same wire + cable topology with the different connectors on the ends. The only possibility I see in there being a difference, is if both inputs on the units went through a different signal path, which to me is very silly for a company to do, but I've heard of stranger things.

when he said instrument I assumed it was a normal guitar cable, only one black stripe thingy on the jack.

As did I, but I think it is important to clarify the difference. My response wasn't aimed at you if that is what you thought.

Since we are on the topic. Would I benefit from using Balanced vs Unbalanced cables? I use a 4ft really high quality lava TS cable and a 2ft lava TS cable and get no noise or signal loss.

Since we are on the topic. Would I benefit from using Balanced vs Unbalanced cables? I use a 4ft really high quality lava TS cable and a 2ft lava TS cable and get no noise or signal loss.

Between the monitors and the interface, yes, balanced is ideal.

Probably not a huge difference unless there's noisy power to the building or lots of appliances going around the mixing booth, but if you've got balanced connections (and have the cash to afford the cables) I'd say better to use them than the unbalanced.

Ahhhhhhh yes i just found out mine are unbalanced (no ring) ts cables.I actually just ordered proper XLR to TRS so i'll be set. But as someone said before, right now i have them connected vis TS cables and i am getting absolutely no buzz no static no strange interference so there probably isnt going to be any difference once i get the balanced cables?

Maybe try cranking the speakers more to hear a difference? I dunno I heard a pretty big difference when I went from unbalanced cables on a duet to balanced on an ensemble.

+1 to the three comments above. Granted I was in a house that was built in the early 70's up until three months ago and the action of turning on the light switch in the room would make my monitors pop (my old ones) and all the light bulbs would go out within two months, not to mention the dreaded 60hz hum. Fuckin hated it. At least the noise was cured when I bought my new monitors and interface with balanced ins/outs.:)