DI box to split microphone signal?

Spectivum

DisMember
Oct 23, 2010
Roaming Europe
Hey guys, question for the advanced.
I don't have a DI box in my bedroom warrior setup. My interface has 1Mohm instrument input and direct monitoring capability so the only issue is tracking distorted guitars due to ampsim latency. There are ampsims with low latency so I was not pushed to spend 100+ EUR on a DI (one that has at least the specs of the interface).

Of course the possibility to split the signal is nice and it occured to me whether it can be used for mic signals. Again with vocal tracking I want to put on some effects but that introduces latency. If the mic signal can be split and sent out to an outboard effect for monitoring, that would really make it a no-brainer decision to get a DI.

Basically the DI creates a balanced, low impedance, mic level signal. The signal coming from my dynamic mic is just like that so I guess the DI would not affect it... just trying to use common sense here, I don't have any electronics background so might be talking rubbish.

So what if I use an XLR-TRS cable from the mic to the DI input, TRS-XLR cable from DI link to mic input on the POD X3 for monitoring with effects, and XLR-XLR from DI output to interface mic input.

Would this work?