Countryman 85 DI setup

Bower

Chasing tone
Sep 17, 2018
Hi guys,

I own multiple valve amps that I run through a Suhr Reactive Load and into my interface for recording purposes. I want the ability to be able to record a raw DI track alongside this. I want to buy a Countryman 85 for my DI. Can anybody confirm this is how I would set it all up?

Guitar into Instrument in on Countryman, xlr out into mic input on interface.
Cable from amp in on Countryman to input on valve amp, Suhr Reactive load out into mic input on interface.

So in total I'd be using 2 mic inputs on my interface for this setup. Then I would arm 2 tracks in my DAW and route them to Mic 1 and Mic 2.

Thanks alot.
Chris.

I'm not sure about the Countryman, therefore, apologies in advance if it doesn't help you.

But, I think most DI boxes work the same way. You get one XLR output and one "THRU" output, usually this one is for a standard TRS instrument cable.

So you just connect your guitar in the DI box, then you send the "THRU" TRS cable in your amp input, as you would normally plug a guitar in your amp. If you use pedals, like an overdrive, you send the THRU to your overdrive.

The XLR out from the DI box is sent to your interface directly.

Again, sorry if the Countryman isn't like that... but I was always told almost every DI works that way... :S

Yes, The Countryman will go between your guitar and amp via the thru. Also, put it on a phantom power channel, so that you dont have to deal with batteries.