Differenc with and without a DI

Oct 27, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Hey guys,

I'd like to know if there would be a difference if I recorded guitars and bass through a DI like a countryman type 85 through the mic input of my profire 2626 instead of directly through the hi-z inputs of my profire?

Thanks

Shouldn't be much of a difference. Using the countryman might give you slightly higher quality DIs, but the input on the Profire is certainly fine.

The big advantage using an external DI is that you can record the miced amp and the DI's at the same time. If you use the profire Input, you're forced to use an amp simulator

For some time I have question: how DI box (in thru mode i.e. as injection between guitar and amp) affects tone?
From one point of view DI box can be viewed as impedance plugged parallel to amp input impedance, because most DI boxes wired in such way (input wired straight to thru output i.e. like Y-cable). For example if we have 1 MOhm DI box and amp with 1 MOhm input impedance, when impedances are in parallel resulting impedance will be 500 kOhm, it`s like plugging guitar into 500 kOhm input...
Where I`m wrong?

With reamp box I can setup monitoring through amplifier to monitor result, this case will be like active guitar splitter.

The big advantage using an external DI is that you can record the miced amp and the DI's at the same time. If you use the profire Input, you're forced to use an amp simulator

No you're not. You can route one of the outputs to go to an amp..

Also reamp box can convert balanced signal into unbalanced signal with almost the same level (1 to 1, at least for Jensen`s schematics or modified ProRMP), while without reamp box there will be 6 db reduction in most cases, if I`m understand right.

Exactly.
I mean...if these boxes exist it means that they have their use. You know...you can also play guitar with a speaker cable instead of instrument cable...it works :D

Exactly.
I mean...if these boxes exist it means that they have their use.

Yes, they break ground loops (which may be necessary to remove hum), and they allow balanced lines to be used which improves immunity from externally induced noise, especially needed with long cable runs or many cables running parallel or electronically noisy environments.

You know...you can also play guitar with a speaker cable instead of instrument cable...it works :D

And if you did so in an interference-free environment the sound quality wouldn't suffer at all.

The lack of shielding on a speaker cable would result in less shunt capacitance, thus less loss of highs compared to some guitar cables (like the cheap Viper brand patch cables I have kicking around).

Also reamp box can convert balanced signal into unbalanced signal with almost the same level (1 to 1, at least for Jensen`s schematics or modified ProRMP), while without reamp box there will be 6 db reduction in most cases, if I`m understand right.

If using an unbalanced line out, then there's no signal loss at all.

Using balanced line out for an unbalanced signal, it depends.

Some balanced line-outs have signal only on the hot side (impedance balanced), some have signal on both hot and cold.

(In both cases the common-mode noise rejection happens if a balanced connection is used, provided the impedances on both hot and cold are the same.)

If you took signal only from the hot side for an unbalanced connection you'd get 6dB more signal if it was "impedance balanced" because the whole of the signal voltage would be on the hot side.

Whereas if both hot and cold sides of the oputput were driven, half the signal would be on the cold side, and you'd lose it unless you used a transformer (or an electronic differential summing stage).

But this assumes the output level is calibrated to the same as the input that was used for recording.

(I'll add that the cold side outputs of a lot of interfaces are driven by an inverting unity-gain opamp stage. These have signal gain of -1, but noise gain of 2. So they double the total signal level, but add twice the noise of the non-inverting output driving the hot side. It's not a tragedy to throw the cold side output away if the hot side alone will give you enough headroom.)

I did a test Saffire 56 InstrumentIn vs. Palmer PDI 01 --> Record at exact same level, shift the phase of one and --> nearly perfect erasement.

Also do while tracking: Guitar --> Saffire 56 --(Record DI)--Saffire Out--> Reamp Box--> Amp

Omega_Void
Thanks for pointing out about impedance balanced outs, my card have half signal on hot and cold pins, so I have 6 db reduction with unbalanced cable.
Bad thing that manufacturers don`t specify exact type of balanced outputs.