Would i benefit from a DI box?

LosingReality

Oct 6, 2007
Columbus GA
Right now im going from the Preamp out on the 5150 OR the output on the E530 into the 1/4 jack input on my profire 610.....and then using impulses....

Would i benefit any by putting a DI box like countryman 85 infront of the profire and going into the XLR?

I know doing a straight DI....its good to use a better DI then the profire has.....but since im using the preamp of a tube amp....before going into the interface.....would i still benefit?

Nope.
The preamps input impedance is ~1 Mohm and made especially for guitar signal.

But if you want to experiment with recording a completely unaffected signal for reamping with other preamp/amp/poweramp combos... then getting a DI Box is a good idea.

As an option you can use e530 as DI, switch it to bypass mode (preamp defeat) and use one of line outs with buffering (not frequency compensated), level can be adjusted by pot on back of the device. Result is good enough, at least better than Art Tube MP and comparable to dedicated Hi-Z input of my current mic pre. But I bought mic pre with Hi-Z input, because I think that using e530 as DI is a waste of it`s capabilities. You can check e530 as DI vs profire 610 instrument input :)

As an option you can use e530 as DI, switch it to bypass mode (preamp defeat) and use one of line outs with buffering (not frequency compensated), level can be adjusted by pot on back of the device. Result is good enough, at least better than Art Tube MP and comparable to dedicated Hi-Z input of my current mic pre. But I bought mic pre with Hi-Z input, because I think that using e530 as DI is a waste of it`s capabilities. You can check e530 as DI vs profire 610 instrument input :)

I actually did this a few times, works pretty well.

The trick is to set right level - when setting reasonably level with pot on the back, there can be moment when level stays at the same level, further adjustment can lead to distortion (interface not clipping). So better to record some material to check for proper level.

Profire 610 output is lower, compared to profire 2626 - 16 dbu vs 20 dbu, so there is need in some boost (screamer for example).
Most reampers reduce level, regardless of passive or active.