Is this an upgrade?!

Huh. This is unexpected. Ripper doesn't fit the usual Yngwie vocalist mold, so should be interesting. Doogie White's never really done it for me. I would mind seeing how Ripper sounds belting out Rising Force...

I like Yngwie, but last time I saw him live a couple of years ago, George Lynch opened for and definitely outperformed him.

Ripper is a fantastic vocalist who always takes wrong decisions.

I don't know that he's necessarily made wrong decisions... This will be the third big-time band that he's hooked himself up with, so he's received infinitely more exposure then he would have had he only been in his own bands like winters bane & beyond fear. He gets to be with the headliner and not the support act. Probably pays better too (although I believe there were some issues with Jorn not getting paid, which contributed to his break-up w/ Yngwie...)

I like odd combinations like this, it can produce some good stuff. Although I like most of the Malmsteen stuff, he could use a push in a different direction, maybe Owens can do that. Won't be easy though, I think Malmsteen is quit a stubborn chap !!

I was listening to a Yngwie concert this morning with Mark Boals on vocals & I could definately hear Ripper delivering on some of those tunes. A tune like "Liar" is pretty well geared to Ripper's style. Some of the more melodic songs... maybe not.

Did noone else find this at least slightly humourous?

Well now that you point at it :lol:

According to a posting on YNGWIE MALMSTEEN's official web site, the legendary Swedish guitarist's long-awaited new CD is now in its final stages of creation, with a tentative release date of July 2008. The new lineup that will take Yngwie's upcoming album on the road is as follows:

Yngwie Malmsteen - Guitar
Tim "Ripper" Owens (ex-JUDAS PRIEST, ICED EARTH) - Vocals
Bjorn Englen - Bass
Michael Troy - Keyboards
Patrik Johansson - Drums

Yngwie Malmsteen will attend the Musikmesse Frankfurt 2008 fair in Germany, which runs from Thursday, March 13 to Saturday, March 15.

Yngwie will take part in clinics and autographs at the Fender Booth in Hall 4 / Booth E08, and he will also play a concert on Friday night with the entire YNGWIE MALMSTEEN'S RISING FORCE band at the Agora Stage.

Yngwie's clinics are open for the general public as well as VIP musicians. You will need to buy a ticket to get into the Musikmesse, but once you're in, all clinics at the Fender booth are free.

Owens and Malmsteen previously collaborated on a cover of OZZY OSBOURNE's "Mr. Crowley", which appeared on the "Flying High Again: The World's Greatest Tribute to Ozzy Osbourne", released in March 2006 via Magick Records. Listen to the track on YouTube. (Click here to open link)

Owens's predecessor, Doogie White, was a member of Yngwie Malmsteen's band for six and a half years. Doogie joined Malmsteen's band in September 2001 and recorded two albums with the legendary Swedish guitarist: "Attack" (2002) and "Unleash the Fury" (2005).