Is this guitar tone too dark? (low-tuned metal)

Nolly

Apr 24, 2009
Bath, UK
Hey guys,

I laid down some rough guitar tracks for another of my band's songs. The guitar tone has come out kinda dark, but I'm digging it, what do you all think?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/RSF/Timeframes 2010.mp3

Excuse the takes, they're not final, and I should add I'm not really going for djent here, so I'm trying to avoid that 2kHz quack. There are layers missing from the track, and the mix isn't polished yet (the bass is a pitchshifted guitar too, so isn't holding down the low end as it should. It also drops out altogether for the "speed-up" riff).

Thanks for listening!

Nolly

EDIT: Here's a version with slightly different post-EQ following Jeff's suggestions: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/RSF/Timeframes new GTR EQ.mp3. The levels may be a little bit weird.

Its missing some particular frequency ranges for me, yep.

Thanks for the input kev, do you mean it's missing high end? Or is there something else about the tone you're not digging?
What amp is the model you are using based on?

It's the 5150 amp model (or 5105 as it's called on the axe-fx). I'm using it with a Redwire Mesa Recto/SM57 cab impulse.

Not too dark, but it ends up a bit narrow because of the midrange overload and lack of air in the upper end.

Fucking ace material, though... you guys are incredibly original sounding! What gtr/tuning was this, btw?

Awesome mate, glad you like it. We're called Red Seas Fire, we have a very old and outdated myspace here: www.myspace.com/redseasfire, but we have a new and spanky one on the way really soon, along with a new track or two. Thanks for checking the clip out!

No way, I remember finding you guys on myspace a while back after seeing one of your SiKTh covers on youtube. Will be sure to listen to your new stuff when it's done!

Not too dark, but it ends up a bit narrow because of the midrange overload and lack of air in the upper end.

Fucking ace material, though... you guys are incredibly original sounding! What gtr/tuning was this, btw?
Really happy you're liking the track! I worry what people will think of it, hopefully we won't get too pigeonholed.
Any specific midrange area you're thinking is overloaded? I can hear what you mean, but when I've tried boosting the airy frequencies and cutting the midrange down it just gets thin and fizzy.
It's my Blackmachine B2 tuned a half step down, with the bottom string tuned to Bb.

Is this Nolly as in "Shred guitarist fill in for Periphery Nolly"?

Yes Tony! You should hit me up on AIM or MSN, would be good to chat :)

Yeah dude! it's Getgood!

Aye Adam, been meaning to ask... what do you use for synths? Is it all Logic?

The other guitarist Pete does all of that. The stuff on this is old, it's all logic sounds. He's now using Reason for all the electro layers, of which there will almost definitely be more on this track when it's done.

No way, I remember finding you guys on myspace a while back after seeing one of your SiKTh covers on youtube. Will be sure to listen to your new stuff when it's done!

Hah, awesome man, that's really neat :)

Oh my word.

That's fuckin awesome.
Good to see this cat floating around here. His shred prowess makes me cry.

I don't know what you're talking about dude, you rip on guitar and you know it. :kickass:

Really happy you're liking the track! I worry what people will think of it, hopefully we won't get too pigeonholed.
Any specific midrange area you're thinking is overloaded? I can hear what you mean, but when I've tried boosting the airy frequencies and cutting the midrange down it just gets thin and fizzy.
It's my Blackmachine B2 tuned a half step down, with the bottom string tuned to Bb.

It's a honky sorta 500-800hz to my ears - maybe try boosting around 120-200 to get some more 'cabinet weight' in there, cutting around 500-800, stick a shelf at 8khz and pump it up a bit, with an LPF hitting at 12khz or so to prevent it from being too 'hairy' up top.

It's a honky sorta 500-800hz to my ears - maybe try boosting around 120-200 to get some more 'cabinet weight' in there, cutting around 500-800, stick a shelf at 8khz and pump it up a bit, with an LPF hitting at 12khz or so to prevent it from being too 'hairy' up top.

Thanks for the tips man, I've adjusted my EQ accordingly and this is how it sounds:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/RSF/Timeframes extra EQ GTR.wav

Do you prefer that? (It's kinda difficult to tell whether I like it or not since it's late here so I can't crank up the monitors)