Is this mix too bright? Melodic Metal.

pitoga

Nov 30, 2009
Lima - Peru
Greetings, I already finished this mix, but today the band told me their old AE told them the mix was to bright. I do think it is a little bit on the bright side (specially the cymbals and the snare) And besides that the OH had some serious phase issues but i didn't track the band so i couldn't REALLY fix that. Initially y had the OH much lower in the mix because of that and because i don't like too much cymbal predominance. But they asked me to rise them. Any way please any suggestions?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36168310/Aragorn/Aragorn - Monster under my bed.mp3

update:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36168310/Aragorn/Monster under my bed harsh gone.mp3

CHEESEFEST!!!

Yeah it is a bit. Gets fatiguing after a while. What else have you compared it to? The snare is seuper 80s.

I guess it's a bit late for editing, but is it possible to tidy up some of the drum timing....?

The guitars are definitely ear shredding. The vox are great. Love it.

Ouch
Not%20Listening.jpeg

Damn, haha thanks. Yeah it definitely could have more editing done, but the tracking was made without following the click and other issues. Could you help me pinpointing what the mayor culprit of the harshness is? And yeah the snare was supposed to sound 80ish that's what they asked for.

Just seems like the overall high end in general thats harsh. Could maybe scoop abit out with a master EQ? But that may cause other issues. I'd go back to the mix if possible and tame some highs.

I send the file to the band, and they liked it more but isn't it way to muffled now? I noticed i have a problem with the mid low frequencies i really hate it when i can clearly hear that frequencies and tend to lower them but then i lower them to much. I need to get to a middle point.

its sounding pretty good now. The drums sound very fake, the cymbals are...crap!

are they real?

i have the cheapest overhead mikes availible to man and i can get a much better hi hat sound just by simply removing any frequncies below 1k

there is a part near the end of the song were people are wispering which sound cluttered

its a good recording overall, amazing sounding vocals very present and rich/warm

its sounding pretty good now. The drums sound very fake, the cymbals are...crap!

are they real?

i have the cheapest overhead mikes availible to man and i can get a much better hi hat sound just by simply removing any frequncies below 1k

there is a part near the end of the song were people are wispering which sound cluttered

its a good recording overall, amazing sounding vocals very present and rich/warm

Yeah I know, the cymbals are pretty shitty, like I said in the OP I didn't record this session there where obviously pretty big issues with the cymbals, (I identified them as phase cancellations or he put them through a comp, and had some serious pumping going on.

Thanks!

What samples on kick en Snare ?
btw Is that a gated reverb (on Snare) or you squized the hell out of the room with gate ?