Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Isis – In The Absence Of Truth
Ipecac Records – IPC-81 – October 2006
By Nathan Pearce

Isis-absencecover.jpg

Let’s cut to the chase. This album has already been analyzed from every possible angle. Fans and non-fans have expressed everything there is to express regarding their personal opinions on this album. The fact is . . . MY OPINION IS THE ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS! Everybody else can just shut up and read on.

Isis has been a slowly evolving band since their inception. Most of you probably didn’t even know they existed until Oceanic, or if you’re really a moron, until Panopticon. In their early incarnation they were practically an instrumental band. Aaron Turner could be found confirming that fact in interviews at the time. But like any vocalist worth $.02, Aaron Turner became more comfortable in front of a mike. On Oceanic the band decided to let both the music and Aaron Turner breathe a bit more. Panopticon simply continued that mindset. Enter In The Absence Of Truth.

In The Absence Of Truth is yet another evolution in this band’s history. The much more pronounced use of clean vocals is definitely the thing that sticks out the most to me. However, the band has chosen to add little things here and there to the music that demonstrate their newfound interest in studio trickery. All in all, the band seems to be on a course that most progressive bands seem to take. Rather than simply making their music more epic and complex, they’ve decided to concentrate more and more on songs and song writing. Up until In The Absence Of Truth, Isis albums flowed like gravy from your speakers. I’m not saying their latest album isn’t a smooth operator, but it seems like songs are much more separated and distinct. You can take that or leave it. I’m sure it will have some fans beside themselves.

I’m going to do it now . . . I’m going to make a Neurosis comparison. Around the time of A Sun That Never Sets, Neurosis clearly evolved into something less aggressive and something more epic and dynamic. While Isis has always been dynamic, I think In The Absence Of Truth displays many of the characteristics of A Sun That Never Sets. More clean vocals, an album concentrated more around songs, and a gentler side to the band. Let’s all remember, however, what came after A Sun That Never Sets. I expect Isis to merely be growing into their new pants on this latest offering. If things go as I predict, Isis will completely blow us away the next go around. Either that or I’ll have to stop the Neurosis comparisons.

In The Absence Of Truth is definitely not a disappointment, but it’s definitely not quite what it could be.

8.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Isis’ Official Website
Ipecac’s Official Website

Interesting review, but its a little harsh to assume that people who started listening at Panopticon are morons though! at least they did start right? : )

I like this a lot, too, but I could easily take any of their prior efforts over this one. Still, Isis are always great, and yes Nate, your opinion is the only one that matters. :D

The more I've listened to this album, the more it has pulled me in. Even before I grew too fond of this album, I found myself listening to it a lot. I don't think they could have come up with better artwork for this album, it basically expresses in perfect detail just what I went through while listening to it; time and time again. Nuances have unraveled and showed themselves to me in fine detail.

While I won't say that this album is their most engaging effort, I definitely think it is a fine piece of work and it is something I can see myself listening to for some time to come. I'd give this album a 9/10.

I'd definitely say its their most "interesting" album.

I agree about the artwork too. Especially hearing some of the vocals like "to slash through the shell" (atleast I think thats what he says, "1000 Shards") it really makes sense with some of the artwork. Cool stuff.

Isis – In The Absence Of Truth
Ipecac Records – IPC-81 – October 2006
By Nathan Pearce

Let’s cut to the chase. This album has already been analyzed from every possible angle. Fans and non-fans have expressed everything there is to express regarding their personal opinions on this album. The fact is . . . MY OPINION IS THE ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS! Everybody else can just shut up and read on.

Isis has been a slowly evolving band since their inception. Most of you probably didn’t even know they existed until Oceanic, or if you’re really a moron, until Panopticon. In their early incarnation they were practically an instrumental band. Aaron Turner could be found confirming that fact in interviews at the time. But like any vocalist worth $.02, Aaron Turner became more comfortable in front of a mike. On Oceanic the band decided to let both the music and Aaron Turner breathe a bit more. Panopticon simply continued that mindset. Enter In The Absence Of Truth.

In The Absence Of Truth is yet another evolution in this band’s history. The much more pronounced use of clean vocals is definitely the thing that sticks out the most to me. However, the band has chosen to add little things here and there to the music that demonstrate their newfound interest in studio trickery. All in all, the band seems to be on a course that most progressive bands seem to take. Rather than simply making their music more epic and complex, they’ve decided to concentrate more and more on songs and song writing. Up until In The Absence Of Truth, Isis albums flowed like gravy from your speakers. I’m not saying their latest album isn’t a smooth operator, but it seems like songs are much more separated and distinct. You can take that or leave it. I’m sure it will have some fans beside themselves.

I’m going to do it now . . . I’m going to make a Neurosis comparison. Around the time of A Sun That Never Sets, Neurosis clearly evolved into something less aggressive and something more epic and dynamic. While Isis has always been dynamic, I think In The Absence Of Truth displays many of the characteristics of A Sun That Never Sets. More clean vocals, an album concentrated more around songs, and a gentler side to the band. Let’s all remember, however, what came after A Sun That Never Sets. I expect Isis to merely be growing into their new pants on this latest offering. If things go as I predict, Isis will completely blow us away the next go around. Either that or I’ll have to stop the Neurosis comparisons.

In The Absence Of Truth is definitely not a disappointment, but it’s definitely not quite what it could be.

Excellent review. I enjoyed it.

I think you've touched on a number of interesting points. As you've stated, Isis is now focusing on songwriting; but songwriting for individual songs, not whole albums. Instead of crafting and writing epic and flowing almost symphonic albums in structure and songwriting, they've instead spent time harnassing all of this energy into each individual song. Does it work? I think the first three tracks really succeed within this context. Yet, the rest leave one wanting more; in fact, they dont really flow or mesh together: thus, further highlighting inadequacies in the songs themselves. Moreover, I get the feeling the band still hasnt totally absconded themselves from the former epic and whole-album style of songwriting. Despite this focus on individual songs, they still seem to want the songs to flow--which again in my mind, further showcases each song's imperfection.

And why else would this truly innovative band attempt to add clean vocals, better production, and more traditional rock and pop songwriting? I think there are two possible answers: One, clearly to make their music more accessible and digestible to a wider audience, and thus finally perhaps get the attention of a major label; Two, to continue the musical evolution this band has embarked upon since day one. Personally, I think both answers work, and I have no problem if they consciously decided to attract a bigger following. They certaintly deserve a bigger following, and this is still a high quality album. One can only hope music lovers will become familiar with isis, check out their backcatalogue, and praise them for being true geniuses in the world of heavy music.

I finally put in my copy of Panopticon that I've never really listened to because I felt guilty about saying I didn't like Isis without really knowing for sure what they sound like. I made it more than half-way through before I got tired and went to bed last night, and it was half-way through that I finally heard a part that I genuinely liked. I do enjoy the whole ambient jam type thing, but their passages were just so generic and they repeated over and over without enough stuff going on in the music. The melodies were way too simple for such an overhyped band, too. I had popped it in expecting something incredible but was faced with something average... :(

After hearing that much of Panopticon again, I can't really say I would be motivated to check out their new CD. But who knows, it's the hype that caused me to buy Panopticon a couple years ago to begin with.

Keep listening, theres a lot more going on than you're going to hear after one listen. Some things still pop up that I never really noticed.

About them trying to get a wider audience, I think their one of the last bands thats purposely going to try to become big. I'd go with your second answer. Vocal wise, its a lot more difficult to write a beautiful melody like "Over Root and Thorn" than simply scream all the time. I do agree somewhat about the flow of the album though. Although I think the first 4 or 5 tracks go together pretty well, overall it doesnt mix quite as well as Panopticon. I do think the tracks themselves flow very well though, especially Dulcinea and 1000 Shards.

Quite weak, my biggest disappointment in years. Doesn't come close to the new Mouth of the Architect that is ironically being dismissed for being as 'Isis clone'.

Quite weak, my biggest disappointment in years. Doesn't come close to the new Mouth of the Architect that is ironically being dismissed for being as 'Isis clone'.

Well i somewhat agree. Isis has been my favorite band for at least 5 years, and I felt really let down with Panopticon, which Ive come to enjoy. But this album gives hints of their genius in the first few tracks, and then brokenly meanders off into oblivion. I like the way the drumming was back to the forefront compared to Panopticon, but then it became boring; especially with all the Tool-ish long repetitive and pointless tirbal-like passages Still...Im not that disappointed in it. But after giving it another listen, and after listening to the last Tool album again, I'm becoming worried Isis has become influenced by Tool. What does everyone else think?

Well i somewhat agree. Isis has been my favorite band for at least 5 years, and I felt really let down with Panopticon, which Ive come to enjoy. But this album gives hints of their genius in the first few tracks, and then brokenly meanders off into oblivion. I like the way the drumming was back to the forefront compared to Panopticon, but then it became boring; especially with all the Tool-ish long repetitive and pointless tirbal-like passages Still...Im not that disappointed in it. But after giving it another listen, and after listening to the last Tool album again, I'm becoming worried Isis has become influenced by Tool. What does everyone else think?

They are friends with tool, they've played with tool and even some of them have studdied with tool. Of course they are going to be influenced by them. Who isn't influenced by their surroundings? Hell, isn't that what art is all about? Expressing feelings/thoughts through alternative means? And where do you exactly think feelings and thoughts come from?

...Anyway, they may be influenced by tool, to a degree, but they are certainly not tool. Anyone should be able to see that at a glance.

They are friends with tool, they've played with tool and even some of them have studdied with tool. Of course they are going to be influenced by them. Who isn't influenced by their surroundings? Hell, isn't that what art is all about? Expressing feelings/thoughts through alternative means? And where do you exactly think feelings and thoughts come from?

...Anyway, they may be influenced by tool, to a degree, but they are certainly not tool. Anyone should be able to see that at a glance.

Well said.

This is the first Isis album I have bought, many people have recommended them over the last few years and I'm glad I finally checked them out. I love this album. I can see how they get the Tool comparisons, but they really are nothing like them. The only similarities lie in some of the rhythms.

I was hoping that after their last album, Isis would step it up a bit, I mean Panopticon was good way to move forward incrementally without becoming more metal but this just embraces pop devices and is quite boring. The vocals are incredibly dull - when the singer doesn't sound interested in what he's singing, how do you expect US to be interested? Guitars have been simplified and melodies the predictable Isis fare. Neurosis remain kings of the genre.

Love this. I popped it in expecting something along the lines of Panopticon II and was pleasantly surprised. It isn't perfect but I really appreciate their efforts to evolve and to prevent stagnation of their sound. As already said, it doesn't flow as well as their previous efforts but the songs themselves are still very solid.