IsoCab vs "real" Cab Test. Samples Inside!

Simon Dorn

Jun 24, 2012
www.thy-final-pain.com
Hi!
Here is the scenario:
ESP/LTD MAX 600/Super Distortion into 2203KK additionally boosted with a TS9.
Miked with a Shure SM7B Celestion G12K100 in the Isocab as well as in the Marshall MF400B.

One of them is the Grossmann without EQ compensation in the Daw.
One is the Grossmann with the EQ-Compensation, which is noted in the manual.
The third is the Marshall Cab recorded at Low Volume (Master on 1)
Grossmann was recorded with Master Volume on 2.5
Marshall EQ was set: Presence 5, Bass 7, Mid 3, Treble5 for all samples.

Except for the sample with the EQ Compensation: NO EQ in the Daw.
I put a limiter on the sum.

Tell me what you think! Which one is which and why? :)
Cheers,
Simon

Ps.: As always: soundcloud fucked the samples up, which was .wavs, originally. Anyway...Here you go!

Here's the Vid, in the same order... :

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Grossmann with EQ, because it has this honky sound.
2. MF400B, because it sounds entirely different then 1 and 3.
3. raw Grossmann, because it sounds similar to 1., has also this "honky" sound and without EQ because it has more highs due to the small room which results in more room modes in higher frequencys and it has a greater hole in the mid area than 1. which you tried to compensate in sample 1 :)

But i can not say that i dislike 1 or even 3. With more EQ it could sound similar to 2.

And...i never get such a great record at low levels :/ ...If i could get that sound wouldn't think of getting an isocab!

1. Grossmann with EQ, because it has this honky sound.
2. MF400B, because it sounds entirely different then 1 and 3.
3. raw Grossmann, because it sounds similar to 1., has also this "honky" sound and without EQ because it has more highs due to the small room which results in more room modes in higher frequencys and it has a greater hole in the mid area than 1. which you tried to compensate in sample 1 :)

But i can not say that i dislike 1 or even 3. With more EQ it could sound similar to 2.

And...i never get such a great record at low levels :/ ...If i could get that sound wouldn't think of getting an isocab!

I would vote for this order.

A mix between 2 and 3 would probably be my favorite, 1 sounds the worst imho, but it's still ok :D