Isolation box

here are some details about my randall iso cab that may be helpful

the iso cab is 18"x18"x31"

lower box is 22 1/2" inches tall
lid is 8 1/2" tall
it is made from 3/4 plywood, if you skimp on that it'll sound like ass

the baffle the speaker sits in is 9" from the top of the lower box, therefore 17 1/2" from the top of the cab overall.

baffle has a 3 inch diameter port that is 5" long
(this is important because it tunes the cabinet)

the area under the speaker and the inside top of the lid lid are lined with 2" fiberglass probably OC 703(the thicker yellow shit you line furnaces with, not the pink stuff)
the upper area from the face of the speaker to the top of the lid is not insulated (but lining this with 703 may help)

it has one 1/4" input
one XLR output with a stubby mic cord on the inside

I put a second xlr and another gooseneck/mic clamp in mine

the mic clamps/goosenecks/xlr plugs and cords are all available at radio shack.

it closes with a heavy duty butterfly latch (like on flight cases.) I'm sure lowes has them.

mine has a celestion vintage 30 in it

264941.jpg

I realize you already have a cab, I just thought this might give you some ideas

Mr. Brokenamp said:
Where did you find that price? I found it for like $70
http://sensiblesoundsolutions.com/
On the site they are selling a box of 6 - 2'x4'x2" (48sq/ft) sheets for $69 (that's $1.44 sq/ft). I'm pretty sure they'll sell you smaller quantities if you ask since you would only need one or two sheets for this project. Either way it's cheaper and more effective than auralex (granted it's shittier to work with).
You could also probably get a similar price from a local store that caters to contractors if you aren't intimidated by construction workers.

egan. said:
It's only around $1.50 sq/ft. for the 2" stuff....

Would those acoustic ceiling tile things be about the same density, so two stacked would be about the same?

Cuz you can buy those individually at home centers, not sure of the price, though. I've seen them in dumpsters quite a bit as well.... God I should sleep.
:ill:

Mr. Brokenamp said:
That fiberglass stuff ain't cheap!
How quiet is it?
I routinely cut full blast marshall and boogie heads full blast at 3 am in a residential neighborhood, doesnt even wake my wife up.

You can hear it in the room but I'd say it cuts it by 60db or so

everybody's x said:
I am planning on posting a clip of a band I am working with if they say it's cool. they will be over here tonight.

Dude that would be awesome! I too have been considering building an ISO box too. Cranking my JCM even during the day is frowned upon...but I live in an apartment building :headbang: .

However, as someone said, I would be worried about standing waves, and overall low end build up. So it'll be good to hear.

I wonder how hard it would be to make a custom 4x12 enclosure? hahahaha now I'm just getting silly.

Would one generally be better off building one of these, or just taking a closet and putting absorptive paneling all around it? I'm guessing that I'd need a few inches of foam padding under the amp in either case, which won't be too cheap, and then enough padding of some sort to cover all of the walls. Any advantages/disadvantages to either of these (prices included)? Also, everybody's x, any further details on what you've done would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff