Issue 42 - The Lost Episode

Demonspell

cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
DEMONSPELL'S SONGS TO WATCH
THE LOST EPISODE

Greetings, devoted readers. I’m glad you enjoyed the Ultimate Metal special. I apologize for the delay in writing a new issue. Actually, I had prepared this song list in hopes of doing another extreme metal special (with a healthy dose of prog, especially of the instrumental variety), but because of a few unexpected problems, namely losing my summer job, I decided to scrap it in favor of the evaluation of the hosted artists on this page. In addition, I also had computer problems at the time that have since been resolved. Further still, this is the last listing I wrote while I was still able to utilize Audiogalaxy…while being an invaluable resource, I still have means of hearing new music and have every intention of continuing this column. In fact, I will have another new issue later THIS week…if that doesn’t convince you I haven’t been slacking, I don’t know what will. Enough talk, here are brief descriptions of the songs…

Opeth - Still Day Beneath The Sun, Patterns In The Ivy II: The two new songs from the Blackwater Park reissue, in case you’ve been living under a rock. Both are predominantly acoustic and feature all clean vocals, at times barely recognizable as Mikael. Both songs manage to be pastoral and ethereal at the same time, and bode well for the next two albums.

Apotheosis – Kingdom: Lengthy progressive metal instrumental with some dark passages, heard via Jim Raggi’s show on www.seismicradio.com

Averse Sefira - Hymns To The Scourge Of Heaven, Homecoming's March: Black metal, raw and with some powerful riffs, available at www.mp3.com

Dark Tranquillity - Monochromatic Stains, Cathode Ray Sunshine: Two great new songs from what promises to be their best album since The Gallery, great use of keyboards on the latter, and Mikael Stanne is in good form. Former song available on the official site, be sure to read the humorous description first!

Dead Soul Tribe - Once, Coming Down: Progressive metal featuring Psychotic Waltz frontman Devon Graves, going in a more modern direction that doesn’t always work, although these songs do. The former is a slower and more emotional track, while the latter has a memorable chorus. Yes, I can feel it coming down. :)

Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - The River Flows Frozen, Blood Of Faith Stains My Hands: One of the UM-hosted bands I regretted not having heard enough material to give them proper recognition in the last issue. Judging by these songs, this Finnish act definitely deserves more attention. The latter features a great solo that comes out of nowhere.

Fall Of The Leafe - Stumbling Stone, Deference Diminuend: Enigmatic act that balances between doom and avant garde extreme metal, at times sounding like Katatonia’s current and Brave Murder Day eras colliding.

Hematovore - Reqiuem For An Insect..., Orion: Another intriguing act heard on Jim’s broadcast, an excellent source for the outer limits of metal’s possibility. Latter track is a heavy, slow-burning instrumental, while the latter is a run through of the Metallicash classic that tries to piss off Lars by playing the mellow part first, then the first four minutes!

Last Tribe - Witch Dance, Messenger: My guilty AOR pleasure of the week, I guess… :)

Steve Morse - Heightened Awareness, Great Mountain Spirits: Guitar hero respected by just about everybody except rabid Blackmore fans, here are two thoughtful pieces from his latest.

Naglfar - Through The Midnight Spheres, Enslave The Astral Fortress: From the recently reissued Vittra, here are two great black metal tracks. Latter song incorporates acoustic guitars to great effect, and the former song shreds. This band is responsible for one of the few successful Maiden-with-growls covers I’ve heard.

Nocturnal Rites - Eyes Of The Dead, Vengeance: My guilty power metal pleasure of the week, I guess :) Latter song has an awesome riff, and these guys should at least be applauded for leaving the swords and sorcery cheese behind.

Novembers Doom - Dark Fields For Brilliance, Amour Of The Harp: Dark Symphonies has been on a winning streak lately (Greg and Michelle, you fucking rule!), and this band’s latest To Welcome The Fade should be another quality release. The band considers the former track, available at www.mp3.com, to be among the best they’ve done so far, and I agree.

Novembre - Carnival, L'Epoque Noire: Two from this band that began as doom metal but seems to get more progressive with every subsequent release, although the former, a nine-minute track from their second Arte Novecento, could have easily been on their latest, or Classica, which includes the latter track.

Ozric Tentacles - Feng Shui, Yog-Bar-Og: Two tracks from the psychedelic/space rock/progressive/whatever instrumental experimentalists who have acquired a massive cult following. Both tracks feature the band’s hypnotic textures and Ed Wynne’s excellent guitar work. Former hails from Jurassic Shift, which accidentally became a hit in England (long story…)

Petrucci & Rudess - Furia Taurina, Hang 11: For Dream Theater fans, this is a prized rarity, a recording of their acoustic concerts only made available at those shows. Worth hearing to see another side of their playing.

Poor Genetic Material - Just Another Me, Star Of Eden: Obscure German progressive rock act, these guys are accomplished songwriters and have also done some more experimental material. Latter song available at www.mp3.com

Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways: Two-part mostly instrumental epic from one of their earlier albums. The first phase in particular is a spectacular work, beginning with an atmospheric extended intro, then a vocal part, then an awesome electronic section, and ending with an equally great instrumental coda.

Quo Vadis - Justice Delayed, As I Feed The Flames Of Hate: Technical death metal from Canada, some awesome drumming on these tracks. Former, which will appear on an upcoming album, available at www.mp3.com

Rain Fell Within - Sirens, Into The Tower: Another accomplished Dark Symphonies release, this girl has quite a voice… :)

Shaman - Fairytale, Pride: Andre Matos, formerly of Angra, returns with this project which also features their former guitarist, I think. Although I like Rebirth more than this, the two good bands instead of one cliché applies here. Material ranges from heavily orchestrated ballads to bombastic power metal.

Sieges Even - Straggler From Atlantis, An Act Of Acquiescence: Two tracks from the severely underrated masters of technical metal. Former track is a thirteen-minute excursion from their debut Lifecycle, their most metallic album, while the latter from Steps shows off their incredible talents.

Skyfire - From Here To Death, The Universe Unveils: Another UM-hosted band I regret not knowing enough about, especially since these tracks are above average melodic death.

Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos, The Chainheart Machine: The title tracks to their second and fourth albums. You’ve probably heard them already. I got the chance to hear some live tracks from their most recent tour, and they kill…

Spastic Ink - The Mad Data Race, See And It's Sharp!: Insane tech-metal instrumentals from the insane Rob Jarzombek and his brother…

Theater Of Tragedy - Bring Forth Ye Shadow, The Masquerader And The Phoenix: Remember when this band didn’t suck? :) One of the first to use the now familiar “beauty and the beast” style of ornately arranged doom.

Thorns - Existence, World Playground Deceit: Black metal followers know the history of this band, through which many notable names have passed and have recorded a split CD with Emperor, a lot better than I do…

Tvangeste -Thinking, From Nameless Oracle: Russian black metal band, both of these songs are lengthy and feature some strong riffs and some Emperor-like arrangements.

Thus ends this chapter, a lot later than expected