Issues With Mastering

Normalizing basically changes the volume. I use it in percent mode, which means it changes the volume to 30% of 100% of the possible volume, 100% being 0db. So 30% is a good bit under 0db I'd say. :D

Why on earth would you do that?! Did I get it correctly, you lower the level? The point is to get the individual tracks as near to 0db as possible, and in the tracking phase ofcourse. Forget about the normalizing and start using the faders :D

I normalize everything cause it just makes the most sense to have each track sound as normal as possible (before processing) to get the most out of your sound. I don't have an arsenal of terms or theory behind it, it just sounds good to me which really is what any recording artist is after I would imagine... recordings that sound good.

So I shouldn't normalize to 30% and instead should try to get the tracks as loud as possible? To 0db?

I'm not sure about how other people do it but thats what I do, yeah. By normalizing your tracks to 30% you're literally losing 70% of your volume on everything... Have you ever noticed when playing music quiet it doesn't sound as full as when you've got it cranked up? Thats basically what I'm getting at. By normalizing everything to 100% or even 99% if you're worried about clipping (which can be controlled by your input gain during recording), you get a more pure? signal, or something...haha, like I said man I dont have an arsenal of theories or anything, I just do it because it sounds good.

So you're saying I should try to record uberloud, near 0db, and turn the DRIVE down on my tone setting? To get less distortion in there... Well that sounds like something to try. I think I've got an idea of what I'll try to do for this current mastering, I can't re-record all the guitars so I've just got to set them a bit short within the mix... kinda quiet... not so fun, but hey, it must be done. Nobody ever told me the guitars were supposed to be recorded loud, and I've watched "making of" videos about CDs where it looks like they aren't recording the guitars THAT loud. Maybe I'm just crazy.