It is driving me nuts, please help :(

abyssofdreams

knows what you think.
Sep 30, 2002
Germany
www.abyssofdreams.com
So here's the thing:
I recently bought an ART Tube MP for my mic and a few weeks ago and it worked like a charm. For some reason though, the AC Adaptor/power supply isn't working anymore so I went out and bought a replacement, not the same manufacturer but it's got the same specs which are:

OUTPUT: 9V ~ 1000mA

I made sure that the output voltage is the same though the manual says an output of average 700mA would be sufficient.

Now, when I plug it in the green power led turns on but slowly fades to black and that's it. When I pull it out it turns green again for some seconds.
Oddly enough, when I move the cable slightly when plugged in the power led turns green now and then but always fades to black immediately.
Anyone own this model and know a way to fix it?

Now if it's "just" a loose connection/defective contact, is it somewhat safe to open the box and check?

Also, when I move the cable around it does some click noises now and then.

I can't imagine that the unit itself is broken since it was always in a safe spot and I never touched it until the power supply died.

I don't want to send it back yet, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Heh, my English is inadequate to describe what I mean, but the transformers (European, at least) usually have a marking on the unit that says where (physically) is the positive and negative contactors in the plug. Maybe someone who knows the terms better could explain this? :)

Dude, you and the other Finns have some of the best English of the durn foreigners on here! :D And I think I know what you mean, are you referring to this?

So here's the thing:
I recently bought an ART Tube MP for my mic and a few weeks ago and it worked like a charm. For some reason though, the AC Adaptor/power supply isn't working anymore so I went out and bought a replacement, not the same manufacturer but it's got the same specs which are:

OUTPUT: 9V ~ 1000mA

I made sure that the output voltage is the same though the manual says an output of average 700mA would be sufficient.

Now, when I plug it in the green power led turns on but slowly fades to black and that's it. When I pull it out it turns green again for some seconds.
Oddly enough, when I move the cable slightly when plugged in the power led turns green now and then but always fades to black immediately.
Anyone own this model and know a way to fix it?

Now if it's "just" a loose connection/defective contact, is it somewhat safe to open the box and check?

Also, when I move the cable around it does some click noises now and then.

I can't imagine that the unit itself is broken since it was always in a safe spot and I never touched it until the power supply died.

I don't want to send it back yet, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Hello!
I have exactly same problem with my ART Tube MP (i bought 9v 1A power supply and got same symptoms, then i started to search in google). Can you tell me, did you found solution for this problem?

Aren't these the cheapest pre-amps you can possibly buy? If you get really frustrated just take a hammer to it and buy another

+1, they are worth à few dozen of euros, and with the stock tube they aren't worth it IMO. I have one and I just never actually used it. Some people had luck using it as the simplest way to put a good quality tube of their choice in their chain though

Well, yes, i will use another preamp then, but i cant sleep already. I tried to get 700 mA by using resistor, but this dont work. Probably, tommorow i will open box and try to find what electricity ways are thinking about.
Sorry for my english ><

i have one but i've never really used it... i want to change the tube. anyone have any recommendations as to which tube to use?