IT/Networking guys - just got my CCNA, advice?

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Hey dudes, I just passed the CCNA exam (Cisco Certified Networking Associate), and I must admit I'm a little overwhelmed with the prospect of finding a job in the field. Any suggestions on the types of positions I should be looking for (Network Technician, Help Desk, etc.), places to look, buzzwords to put in the resume, etc.? Hoping to stay in the NYC area, not like that'll be relevant to most of you folks

Thanks!

See if you can latch into an entry-level position until you get your feet wet, help get yourself acclimated with working with it on a daily basis. What type of position are you looking for? With a CCNA, you could interview as helpdesk/IT with a firm or a hospital, be entry-level NOC for an ISP or data carrier, or be an apprentice tech for an outsourced IT company.

They all have their benefits, if you don't want to sit behind a desk all day, I'd recommend the outsourced IT company route.

Get your resume updated on whatever job boards you use (Indeed, Monster, etc.) and poke around for tech-related positions. There's usually high churn/burn rates plus IT's always in demand. Like I said, it's just a matter of what type of company you see yourself working for.

Good luck!

Thanks Russ, looking through listings it seems like I may have to start with the IT/helpdesk route to get some experience in the field before doing anything network related - if anyone has any tips for what to brush up on or what's required in those kind of positions it'd be much appreciated!

Definitely get into a NOC if you can. A corporate office is ideal. The field work guys end up throwing cable more than actually getting to setup and design anything. ISP gets your feet wet really fast, but its hard work. Long hours and lots of emergency calls using the cheapest gear they can. No one remembers how right you got things, just that it went out once for 6sec while they were jerking off to something.
Go for the CCNP too, the CCNA just gets your foot in the door.

Nothing wrong with help desk as a starting role. You get your foot in the door with a lot of companies they will pay for certifications if you do the study work and can pass it on your own. My buddy adds a new cert. every year or so and he started helpdesk with his current company.

I work for Best Buy and they bought a company called MindShift a year or so ago almost and I know they are hiring right now too. Theres some good opportunity there and I want to say they actually have an office in NY somewhere however could be wrong. It'd be a start to your professional resume.

Check into university jobs. I'm working at a private university right now in a Cisco sponsored position - decent starting wage, 5 weeks paid vacation.

nice one mate. Don't discount the Value of studying Mcse's/Mcp's at some point too.....