it's probably a really stupid idea

avi

W3RK3R
Aug 21, 2002
Oly, WA
www.itsatrap.com
and some folk have warned me against it, but I'm getting into the record business. well CDs actually.

but anyhow - my first release will be the new self-titled album from my Swedish friends KVLR and it should be out in March. Here's an mp3 of the first single:
http://www.itsatrap.com/playlist/KVLR-Slow_Clapping.mp3

If anyone besides Jake writes for indierock press stuff and wants a promo, please let me know. I should have it pressed and ready for mailing by xmass.

and yeah - listen to that track and tell me what you think

goal: break even, hopefully get the band over on tour, maybe even get a chance to release some other albums I love in the US

it's a potentially stupid idea b/c starting a label is a money pit. f'real.

if it's something you enjoy then it's like any other hobby that costs a lot and pans out nothing. it's called 'FUN'.

:)

Avi how about from a band's perspective with your releases? Like do they hope/expect to sell a lot of albums with It's a Trap or is it more something like they're just happy to see their stuff released in the US and however it does is fine with them?

Or acttually a better question, are you taking an active approach to your releases or a passive one?

I'm taking a very active approach and hope to promote the release as best I can, hiring PR (sans radio promo for now) and all that shit. the band mostly just wants to be treated fairly (their last US label-guy was a flake) and get their record out. nobody's expecting to make a ton of money or anything, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna try. in an ideal world, our combined connections will get em on a good tour over here and I'll sell enough CDs to fund more releases. of course, I'd love to make it my "job", but that's a looooong way off. I wish I didn't have to do a 3-month incubation period, but that's the time I need to make sure US press gets the proper lead to line up with the release date.

Reactions: TheNewChupe