It's weird getting back into music...

VenomPuppy

New Metal Member
May 15, 2016
Hello, I'm an old member from way back in the heyday, going by 1st Metalheads under an old email when I was a teenager. Due to a lot of personal reasons, I got out of music and focused on work, but more recently I've felt the itch to get back into discovering new stuff every day. I know several people from this forum that I looked up to as a guide for figuring out new stuff, and now that I'm a lot more perceptive than I used to be, I hope that this forum can be used as a guide again. I've been getting into what's established as essential to the genre, but I'm having trouble finding newer material that's up to snuff, and I'm hoping this will help.

Nice, welcome back. If you'd like your old account merged into this one, let me know.

I'm not sure what style of music you're looking to hear about. Some of my favs from the last decade-ish are bands like:

Pagan's Mind
Circus Maximus
Ghost
Vangough
Symphony X
Kamelot
Opeth
Dynazty
Ark

Could go on and on, let me know what style you like. Better yet, you should post a thread here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forums/band-recommendations/

Thank you for welcoming me back! I actually would like my old account to be merged, I may not be proud of how I was on forums in my teenage years, but it was an important step for me. Some of the biggest music I've listened to has been Thrash, Progressive and Tech Death in that order, but nowadays, some of my favorites are:

Atheist, Bathory, Black Sabbath, Carcass, Coroner, Death, Entombed, Gorguts, King Diamond (and Mercyful Fate), Malevolent Creation, Mastodon, Morbid Angel, Nevermore, Opeth, Symphony X, Ulver.

Sorry for just throwing a list out there, but basically, I've been trawling various rating sites to see what is held up as classics for each particular genre. Not everything has really passed inspection for me, but I've gotten a lot more accepting of more styles of music. I still like progressive more than anything else, because it has the most propensity for a unique sound, I feel. I've recently tried out Immolation, Dismember and Napalm Death on the Death Metal side, and I plan on looking more into Black Metal, but I'm wondering if there's landmark releases in metal within the past few years that aren't say, the djent or core music that seems to be being thrown around everywhere I look.

Reactions: GlamDefender
If you're looking for new landmarks in metal overall, Accept's last few albums are fantastic, on the black metal front Gorgoroth cranked out Instinctus Bestialis last year which is simply merciless, the only malady being the vocals, and Venom released From The Very Depths, Saxon and Girlschool had a couple decent releases last year, Judas Priest released Redeemer of Souls two years back, and Motörhead dropped Aftershock in 2013, and released their final album at the end of last year, Bad Magic. Hope that's enough for now. If not, just say so, and I'll drop you some more lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: GlamDefender
Welcome to my holy crusade. What metal in particular do you like? I certainly hope you don't piss out any p0sers.

Plenty of people here use that word. Some people are massive fucking posers and thus the term is required. I don't believe in some wimpy metal brotherhood, "hey lets all get along" drum circle bullshit.

I don't care for pussbag brotherhood bullshit either, but unironically using the word "poser" makes you sound like a troglodytic fruitcake if you ask me.

Poser? I'm talking about Phil Rudd. Then again, you kangaroo people all look the same, so it's understandable how you'd confuse one another.

Man, it's like it's 2004 all over again.

Anyways, I added my RYM to my signature to give an easy link to what I listen to. I'll post a thread in the recommendations section when I have a more solid idea what I'm looking for rather than a list of every subgenre. I probably could use more Black Metal though.

Last edited: