Itunes 'Create WAV Version'?

professorlamp

I are Joe
Nov 2, 2009
Wales, United Kingdom
How does this work, I just noticed some of my stuff was at 128kbps from the old default settings so I used the 'create a WAV version' in ITunes but how can it uncompress a compressed format?

It can't.

It's just there for conversion, just like you can convert your .wavs to mp3.

I can understand converting from wav to mp3 because thats taking away stuff that's already there, I don't understand how it can (if it actually can) put stuff in there that wasn't there in the first place

But If I do convert something from 128kbps not only does it say WAV, the filesize jumps up a load, are you telling me I'm going to have to import all of my old CD's again :( ?

I can understand converting from wav to mp3 because thats taking away stuff that's already there, I don't understand how it can (if it actually can) put stuff in there that wasn't there in the first place

But If I do convert something from 128kbps not only does it say WAV, the filesize jumps up a load, are you telling me I'm going to have to import all of my old CD's again :( ?

What, it's not putting stuff in. It's exactly the same sound, except now it's lossless. It's the same process as putting an mp3 file into your DAW, since they can't handle mp3's (or at least Sonar can't), it converts it into a .wav file first.

It's like resizing an image. If you have a 64x64 image and you resize it down to 32x32, then the file size will be bigger. If you then resize it back to 64x64 (not including the usual modern algorithms, but just the very basic, very pixellised algorithm), the file size will go up but you won't have actually gained any information. Except in this case, if you then resize it down to 32x32 again, you won't lose any more information. Whereas if you convert that .wav back into a 128kpbs mp3, you will lose more information.