Jack's Cubase Idiocy.

Hey guys.

Ive been using an ancient copy of Cubase LE to record DI guitars. The problem is, Cubase LE can only handle about 4 guitar rig 3 plug ins in any one project, so Ive been recording each guitar, setting up the plug in, exporting the resulting file as a wav, & re-importing it, minus the channel plug-in.

Its time consuming, its a complete ball-ache if I want to go back & adjust the tone, but until I can get a more recent version of cubase, its the best solution I have.

Now, I need some help. When I export my tracks, I set the channel fader at
0 Db, & when theyre recorded the gain is fine. When I re-import them, the wave-form is all of a sudden tiny, & very very quiet. I have a suspicion that Im doing something wrong with the export settings, but Im really not sure what. Any ideas?

- Jack

Why don't you just put the plugins on the input channel? If you want to use different tones just put 8 guitar rigs on there and only turn on one at a time. That way you record straight through the plugin and you don't have to worry about all this exporting nonsense.

The input channels are all the way on the left in the mixer (hit f3)

I had the same problem when I first started - my comp couldn't handle all the plugins. But I had a single core.

You might wanna upgrade the processor, and maybe add another 2gb of ram. I upgraded to a quad core and haven't had any problems, but I know a lot of people that use dual core and are fine too...

Have you tried going into your task manager and exiting unnecessary processes? You admitted that you are a comp noob so you might have a ton of processes running that are adding to your cpu load and not allowing room for your plugins to run.

Also definitely try this:
http://www.pcmus.com/TweakXP.htm

Use LePoulin ( probably the first version ) or Wagner and Voxengo Boogex. All free. And they are much more easy on the CPU, which is why I am posting, and imho sounds less synthetic.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/477528-killer-soldano-vst-preamp.html

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/427135-impulse-faq.html

But if you want to make all your guitars sound exactly the same open a new group channel, put all the individual tracks to no volume at all and put 1 guitar rig in there?

does LE not have a "freeze inserts" button? that would do essentially what you're doing, but if you want to change something, just push the button again, edit, then freeze.

you can't pan your gutiars left and right, and send them to a group. either guitar rig will run in mono and it will sound weird, or it will work fine, but there is no tricks to running in stereo - the plugin is simply run twice (it wont save CPU).

you've got an ok PC, so i'd recommend switching to something else;
wagner sharp, 7170, soloc, are all good pre-amps. combined with something like boogex, or kefir, or SIR, you could get a (a lot of people on this forum will agree :) ) better sound, and not have to go around the way you do to work on your track!

i done an FAQ, linked above, about using impulses, which covers the basics.

as for the re-import issue about it being quiet.. i'm not so sure! when you play those mixdowns in a media player, do they sound quiet?

thanks,

somecallmejack, well I don't want to be a bitch but you really should download that Soldano plug-in. With my computer I can put 4 GR3 and the computer gets senile. But I can put 8 Soldano and the machine is still relaxing on the beach. And the sound is better.... with the boogex and a nifty impulse.

Another vote for SoloC (the name of the Soldano plugin ;)), if you think you can get Guitar Rig to sound anywhere near as good as this, I'll be amazed! (and I'm not trying to take too much credit for what I linked to, it's just two tracks of TSS --> SoloC --> Boogex with one of my impulses, nothing fancy - it's the developer LePou who deserves the credit, he's a god amongst men!)