Jag Panzer - Mechanized Warfare

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Jag Panzer - Mechanized Warfare
Century Media - 2001
By Rodrigo

Following the tremendous success of Thane to the Throne, Colorado’s Jag Panzer is back with their latest offering Mechanized Warfare. After being completely blown away by Thane to the Throne I was very interested to what Jag Panzer would do next. Mechanized Warfare is an album that embodies the spirit of their classic album Ample Destruction but continues the musical direction they have been using in their past albums. The end result is an explosive heavy metal album that is sure to appease long time fans and make new ones as well.

Mechanized Warfare is a very diverse album that makes each song memorable in its own right. "Take to the Sky" is the first single and it takes the band literally to far reaching heights. Lyrically similar to "Aces High" but musically completely different, "Take to the Sky" has got to be one of the best power metal songs in recent memory. The intro features excellent mid-tempo heavy riffing that goes into faster melodic lines in the verses, the guitar team of Mark Briody and Chris Broderick is one of the best in the genre. The chorus has some of the best vocal melodies ever; if you don’t find yourself singing along then something is completely wrong with you. Finally, the instrumental part from 1:58 to 3:08 is just to die for. Chris really shows how much he has progressed as a lead guitarist and the solos in this song are only just the beginning. "Frozen in Fear" is the next song and it is another fast melodic song. The aspect that makes the strongest impression in this song is the lyrics. It appears that the song is about child molestation.

Harry "The Tyrant" Conklin has written some powerful stories for Mechanized Warfare. "Unworthy" is about not getting the answers you want from religion and "The Scarlet Letter" is not about the famous book but rather it is the story of a prostitute. Both of those songs are two more excellent songs. "Unworthy" starts off with a chanting intro that is used during the chorus of the song and really adds a lot of depth to the song. The beginning is characterized by soft melodic music with violins in the background and then it speeds up at about 1:18 into the song. A very cool section is right after the 2nd chorus where Rikard Stjernquist showcases great drumbeats and then Chris belts out another amazing solo. "The Scarlet Letter" is a slithery mid-tempo song where Chris has another moment to shine with fast solos and Harry just sings incredibly.

To me "The Tyrant" is one of the best singers in metal right now and it is a crime that he doesn’t get mentioned more often. He has the same range and power of singers like Bruce Dickinson. If you don’t believe me then listen to "Power Surge" and marvel at the easy way that "The Tyrant" can go from a high pitch singing to a lower range. "Power Surge" is another excellent song that features both fast paced and slower mid-tempo sections. Finally, "All Things Renewed" is the excellent ballad that ends Mechanized Warfare beautifully. It has an acoustic soft section with violins in the background and a heavier section that features a female choir in the chorus.

Mechanized Warfare should show to the metal world that Jag Panzer is a band to be reckoned with. It is hard to follow up a highly acclaimed and successful album like Thane to the Throne but they have managed to do that with no problems. Put Mechanized Warfare into your "TO BUY" list because this is a must buy.

You can read the original review here . Post your comments below!

From what I've heard, they sound like they did 10+ years ago, which to me is a testament to a band sticking to what they do best.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
From what I've heard, they sound like they did 10+ years ago, which to me is a testament to a band sticking to what they do best.

Accually I think that they evolved quite nicely. The Tyrant is a much better singer now. And their sound has matured also.

They certainly do not sound the same as they did on "The Tyrant's EP" or "Ample Destruction".

Better go have a listen yourself ;)

And I missed Wacken this year so I will not see them perform for at least a year!! :mad:

Yeah, Mechanized Warfare is truly a quality metal release. It's not all that exciting, really I don't think. But it has to be respected.

Indeed Swiss Metalian at first you don't hear anything special. At least that was how it was for me. When I heard the first Jag Panzer album since Ample Destruction. I thought, my god, they have changed.

I also thought they were getting more commercial. But after a few listens they grew om me like, HUGE !!!

Now I think the choruses are among the strongest part of their music.