james hetfield's thoughts on rehab

Yetti

Oct 29, 2002
Amerika
Visit site
METALLICA frontman James Hetfield spoke to Kerrang! magazine about his battle with alcohol addiction and the much-publicized trip to rehab in 2001 that has seemingly enabled the singer to emerge a much healthier and more positive-thinking person that he was during much of the group's 20-plus-year career.

In the latest issue of the magazine (dated March 29), Hetfield discusses his decision to seek out help for his addiction, his relationship with his bandmates and his new outlook on life and friendships on the eve of the release of the group's eighth studio album, "St. Anger", due June 10 through Elektra Records.

The following are some of the highlights of the Kerrang! interview:

On rehab:

"Going away to rehab taught me about priorities. I've been in METALLICA since I was 19 years old, which can be a very unusual environment, and it's very easy to find yourself not knowing how to live outside of that environment, which is what happened to me. I didn't know anything about life. I didn't know that I could come home and live a family life. I didn't know that I could live my life in a different way to how it was in the bad since I was 19, which was very excessive and very intense. And if you have addictive behavior then you don't always make the best choices for yourself. And I definitely didn't make the best choices for myself."

"But rehab is like college for your head. I really learned some things about myself in there. I was able to reframe my life and not look at everything with a negative connotation. That's how I was raised. It was like a survival technique for me. And getting into METALLICA meant that initially I had to fight to survive, for food, for the towel, for the shower, for everything. And then fighting to be the best band you can be, and putting other bands down. Finding fault with everything was how METALLICA was fueled. And not only did I play a part in that, I was buried in that."

"[In rehab] I learned that every human being is born perfect. I learned that the flaws in ourselves comes from the things around us, from our backgrounds and influences. But when we're born we all have the same-sized soul. There are certain things that are genetic, but that doesn't mean that I have to act in a certain way, and I didn't know that. My lifestyle has been very intense, and I didn't know how to remove myself from that. Rehab taught me how to do that, it basically taught me how to live."

"I was afraid of so many things. I'd look at other peoples friendships and think. Man, why cant i have friendships like that. But I didn't know how to. So I used to try and buy friendships."

On whether it was difficult to say to himself, "Look, things have gone too far for me, I need to reach out for help":

"Yes, it definitely was difficult. That was one of the most difficult things of all. I had no humility and I felt that I couldn't show any weakness. For me, I was James Hetfield of METALLICA rather than just James Hetfield. And I was trying to live that lifestyle at home, I was trying to wear that mask all the time. And it's amazing how long you can wear a mask for. We're performers who play music — I mean, this is us. This isn't an act. But now I've learned how to be more congruent with where I am. Admitting that sometimes being on tour really sucks, and that I would rather go home. Or that I'm not in a good mood right now, and not worrying if people turn around and say, 'Hey, you're an asshole.' That can't hurt me now, whereas I used to be so concerned that people liked me.

"There's a lot of machoism in this world, but I suppose the most manly thing you can do is face up to your weaknesses and expose them. And you're showing strength by exposing your weaknesses to people. And that opens up a dialogue, it opens up friendships, which is definitely what it has done for me."

Guerrilla said:
Yeah, that's why Metallica sucks, cause he went soft.

How very fitting. It must have taken you, what, at LEAST half a second to think of that. I don't see how going to re-hab makes you 'soft'. I think you would have to be a pretty hard cunt to have the balls to realise you have a problem and do something about it, all-the-while knowing that something like 50 million people are going to judge you for it. Oh but wait, he went soft. I forgot.

That's not what I meant. I was talking about this
"There's a lot of machoism in this world, but I suppose the most manly thing you can do is face up to your weaknesses and expose them. And you're showing strength by exposing your weaknesses to people. And that opens up a dialogue, it opens up friendships, which is definitely what it has done for me."

So go give James a blowjob while you two listen to Linkin Park together right?

Metallica is pretty extreme, yo.

....but on a serious note. You -have- to give dibs to alcoholics who get themselves back on the right track. That's got to be really tough. (and let's face it...Hetfield's a bigtime alcoholic. Explain Unforgiven 2.)

Guerrilla said:
So go give James a blowjob while you two listen to Linkin Park together right?

You know what your problem is guerrilla, for 1 you need to pull your head out of your red stretched out asshole, and grow up just a little. Second, being macho does not make you a man, it just shows how scared you really are to face the world. If you want to be a man then get a job, pay some bills, and be responseble for something.

Just so you know, Kerrang is a peice of shit. Half of that interview probaly never took place. Its been sucking nu metal cock for abiut 4 years now and every week it gets worse. The only decent metal mag we have over here is the Hammer and thats going downhill (Limp bizkit or some simmilar shit got 9/10 last week. And this is the mag that gave me ...And oceans, Devin, Emperor and the Wildhearts. I nearly wept in the street.)

Kerrang used to be great in the 80's but like you say they have went downhill these days.Metal Hammer cost like 10 -$13 over here, same with Guitarist Magazine

Ihreil Junkenstein said:
The only decent metal mag we have over here is the Hammer and thats going downhill (Limp bizkit or some simmilar shit got 9/10 last week.

Hahahaha, come on man, the British Hammer's been sucking bad for a long time with all that nu metal shit... The Greek Hammer kicks some ass though.

Yes, i read the wildhearts section, in metal hammer...and how the vox man gave a lecture, fucken small world...
I am watching YOU!!

relvolver is not bad a magazine...
some nu-metal is alright

OPEN YOUR FUKEN MIND GURILLA FUCKASS, CAUSE I AM COMING THROUGH WITH A MAC TRUCK...