Jamming in real time on the net

demeyed

Jun 13, 2007
Is there any way to jam with other people in real using the internet or a phone line? I'm talking about things with very low latency as that would be an issue. I might try tossing ideas with my band becasue I live 100 miles away during college.
I've figured out the mixing ideas so we can all hear each other but its sending these signals back and forth.

There's a free program called eJamming (do a google search) that lets you jam with other people in real time, as well as record together. I haven't used it myself cause I haven't got a usb input for my guitar yet but I hear it's pretty good.

I don't know about eJamming it might be a MIDI only program, but realtime audio is pretty much impossible over the internet your going to get latency and probably too much to be useful.

That said, look into Reaper and NinJam from http://www.cockos.com. I haven't tried NinJam but it is described as near-realtime jamming. I believe a central server is used to host a conference where one user records a track which is forwarded to the next user who adds their bit, etc.

I user Reaper (DAW software) for recording and it's fantastic so I suspect NinJam is respectable as well.