Jazz Recommendations

Check out pat metheny, antonio carlos jobim, thelonius monk, and chick corea (his stuff with return to forever is absolutely fantastic).

John Coltrane: A Love Supreme, My Favorite Things, Live at Birdland, Giant Steps
Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool, Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain
Thelonius Monk: At Carnegie Hall (with John Coltrane), Blue Monk

Some jazz/fusion bands:
Trio of Doom
Weather Report
Miles Davis's album Bitches Brew
The Mahavishnu Orchestra
Return to Forever featuring Chick Corea

that Dizzy Gillespie band (vid) is totally sick, never heard much by them, just the names been ringing around my head since I was a whipper snapper

Jazz drummer Gene ? Krupa ? wanna see some early unbelivable drumming.

Since you are new to jazz, if you want some historical grounding:

First the blues. I can't reccommend anything, you know what it all sounds like anyways. For swing, check out some duke ellington. I'd start with a greatest hits compliation, and move on from there. Make sure you hear "Take the A train." Also check out some Buddy Rich. Next, you've got bebop, so try charlie parker. I'd try greatest hits again, because all these jazz artists have gigantic resumes, and you'd get lost just picking up specific albums. Now, of the the retaliation, the cool school, Miles Davis Kind of Blue is absolutly essential. To understand modern jazz, you need the shape of jazz to come by ornette coleman, but make sure you are ready for it, since it isn't easy listening. Now, as for Coltrane, start with A love Supreme and Giant Steps. These are pretty spiritual, but where he really gets spiritual is on his free jazz recordings, such as live at the village vanguard or interstellar spaces. But don't start with those, really.

I'v recently purchased John Coltrane's A love Supreme record and it's pretty bland actually.I was told by everyone just how amazing it is and I'm not hearing it . Looks like I'll be looking in the direction of the fusion stuff also.

I really like the Gypsy Jazz stuff...one of my friends showed me a video of Jimmy Rosenberg playing some a while ago, and he's quite amazing. Pretty fucked up as a person though, cause he's a huge drug addict and I heard he recently got out of jail for stabbing a guy in a bar lol.