John Coltrane

Feb 28, 2006
Pasadena, California
Anyone like John Coltrane? Of the many brilliant jazz musicians I've been exposed to, this guy has impressed me the most. While his utilization of avant-garde stylings may be tame considered to todays standards no one has captured the origonality he brought to the scene so well. There have been many imitators, but none have done it so well (at least as I see it). What has impressed me most is his fusion of Indian music (also something I've become increasingly interested in lately).

Anyways, discuss your thoughts and opinions on him.

Coltrane is the shit. Ascension is freaking fantastic. Only A Love Supreme ranks higher in his output. My Favorite Things is awesome also. \m/COLTRANE\m/

ResistExistence said:
A Love Supreme is brilliant. I just recently got My Favorite Things. Great album but I feel it's a bit drawn out at moments. How's Ascension? I haven't heard much from it.

Great. Do not hesitate to get it.

Coltrane, one of the greatest musicians to walk the planet. All above-mentioned records are superb. 2 more would be "Giant Steps" and a "live" record(forget the name) he did with Thelonius Monk. Charlie Parker, maybe even more influential than Coltrane, came before. Both brilliant sax players.

ironbeard said:
Coltrane, one of the greatest musicians to walk the planet. All above-mentioned records are superb. 2 more would be "Giant Steps" and a "live" record(forget the name) he did with Thelonius Monk. Charlie Parker, maybe even more influential than Coltrane, came before. Both brilliant sax players.
Yup, Giant Steps. I haven't heard the other one you mentioned though.

Giant Steps is a great album as well. I haven't heard anything from the album with Thelonious Monk but I love his work as well so I'm sure I'll be picking that up soon.

I'm sure I'll be picking up Ascension as well.