Jeff finally speaks on the record about NM, etc.

yea, half a decade between albums is crazy.

bottom line underneath it all is I think some of the guys just plain don't like each other. it's only natural.

what strikes me as odd is that they got paid through Jim and Warrel? No idea how that works/worked. Maybe it's standard practice for bands; I've no idea idea. Just sounds weird.

I'm gonna see Jeff in a few weeks here at his clinic. I'm stoked.

That's how Megadeth operates. Everyone has always gotten paid by Mustaine because he wrote most of the songs and its his band, all the way back to the first album. If I'm not mistaken, NM is actually Warrel and Jim's band; they recruited the others post-Sanctuary.

If you think about it, Metallica's the same way with Hetfield and Ulrich at the helm. Even though they let others write now, it's still their baby and what they say goes.

That's how Megadeth operates. Everyone has always gotten paid by Mustaine because he wrote most of the songs and its his band, all the way back to the first album. If I'm not mistaken, NM is actually Warrel and Jim's band; they recruited the others post-Sanctuary.

If you think about it, Metallica's the same way with Hetfield and Ulrich at the helm. Even though they let others write now, it's still their baby and what they say goes.

How does that work when Jeff was in Sanctuary near the end?

Kirk Hammett has been in Metallica since 1983 and it's still the Ulrich and Hetfield show.

Again, I don't know and I'm just guessing here, but if I had to speculate I would say that NM was started by Warrel and Jim so they own the name, which is why Jeff and Van didn't take the NM name with them when they left. Jeff came into Sanctuary late in the game and then they broke up. Jeff is now out of the picture. Warrel and Jim get together under a new moniker and ask Jeff if he'd like to play with them. The band is still Warrel and Jim's.

I don't know the specifics or anything, I'm just extrapolating from what seems the most likely scenario.

well in that latest WD interview he talks about the label keeping him and jim, so maybe when they signed with century media it was some kind of contract buyout of WD and jim's contract? i dunno how this shit works.

The money stuff is private business. Jeff should've kept it that way. Now that the cats outta the bag.

Warrel had business experience with Sanctuary when forming Nevermore and signing a deal/owning band name. There are advantages to not being paid by a manager. 1 being a manager has to make a living, so there is going to be some sort of accounting fee. 2 warrel handling paychecks means he knows exact dollar figures promised in contracts and this eliminates chances of a crooked manager skimming. The disadvantages are obvious. Friends almost always find ways to put things in the past, but whenever it involves money.......totally different story. Warrel could have been slow to issue payments, or jeff/van wanted a 25% or it's possible money means more than music and this is how jeff/van wanted to handle it.

Jeff makes it seem like it was normal band and touring tensions plus disagreements about taking a break after touring TOC and skipping symx... But the whole lawyer/$$ bull shows the tour issue was not the cause.

Maybe Jeff is just taking a shot back at Warrel over the guitar hero comment.

It's all stupid. Not shocking money & boos are responsible.

Jeff saying Warrel needs to be careful about who replaces him & van... Sounds like it's eating at him that someone else will be playing his leads....and his comment about how demanding it is to play their catalogue, Calvert, O'Brien or Murphy are all capable. As for replacing van, I felt his drumming fit amazingly well but there is nothing any experienced metal drummer can't do.

I can only wish a drummer like Peter Wildoer could end up in the band. He'd be a perfect fit. Wouldn't mind if Christofer Malstrom took Jeffs spot...

Malstrom is good. Forgot about him. Dunno about his writing though.

Maybe as Jeff got bigger and better he simply realized that he could demand a higher cut for his work. This happens in any business/work place in the world since it's just the natural flow of things. If a higher wage for Jeff could potentially cause issues within the band then that could be reasons to leave as well. If the grass is greener... a man's gotta make a living. Of course, this is entirely speculative, as is everything else thus far in the thread.

It's all speculative. Who really knows what Jeff & Warrel are holding back.

Bottom line everyone has to make a living and ideally it's best to never earn paychecks from friends. Shit like this happens because of it. The money problems should have been jeff/van vs CM and it sounds like Warrel & Jim's % got cut to make it 25% for all.... Thats another possibility?

I hope this is the end of airing out business in the media. But I doubt it.

As for Malmstroms writing, his solo project Non Human Level is a great example. I always felt Darkane lacked a good vocalist and someone as talented as Malmstrom & Wildoer would reach a new level of music with someone as talented as Warrel.

I generally try to stay away from gossip but i was pretty curious about all this, and after reading that i'm totally on the fence and hope nothing else comes out because we don't need to know. honestly any more closure than this just gets a bit personal, nevermore are moving on and jeff/van are moving on, they've said what they want to say and anything else would just be a bit much.

being in a band (not nearly their league but even in small stuff you deal with a lot of what i assume to be the same fucking bullshit problems haha) i can empathize a bit with all that, as money really does fuck things up. if they were getting paychecks from others in the band, even when you have a simple logical agreement that might be totally right, people aren't logical. over time things can just change and who knows what changed/if it changed, but i could see issues with all that. i also can see how the taking time off thing at that point could kinda screw them, especially if warrell was the one who all the pressure/responsibility fell on and what they were proposing would amount to backing out of a full tour, something that does NOT end up working out well for a band/label/anyone involved, and especially not the person that is viewed as the head/in charge of that situation.

it was cool that jeff acted nicely in the interview, and i think people misconstruing his comment about the nevermore replacements is odd. i don't think that was an ego thing, it seemed pretty clear to me he was simply saying that he hopes they can get some great musicians who can keep the band going full force and not end up like other bands that lose a lot of original members who contributed to the sound and end up sucking/being a joke/cover band (plus when he said they can't just jump up on stage that makes sense considering nevermore songs are fucking hard, technical, tight, and even for a great guitar player would be a challenge to just jump in and go).

either way i'm realllyy hoping this is the end of it and they don't start slinging dirt back and forth (any of the members) because that doesn't help at all. i've had more than my share of fights with band members and they feel fucking terrible, even if you hate the person/know they're wrong or don't understand/maybe you're wrong you still feel terrible and it does affect you, and having that in public would be so much worse. having people you've been around for so many years and then having something this huge happen and it being public? i feel bad for all of the guys, even if maybe some of them aren't affected (or try not to be).

I always thought the songwriter gets the most money. Or should. Didn't Jeff write alot of the music? But if there was already a pre-made contract that they follow then I guess that doesn't count.

I also found a lot of the money talk interesting - I understand that is usually private, but it seemed a little weird and I'm just interested in all of the little things that made up the relationship of the band and the guys themselves. I know I'll never get the answer to this - but I am really curious as to exactly how much each guy makes or has made over the course of the band's career. Do they just barely squeak by? Do they have money in the bank, do they have to do any work outside of music to stay afloat? I was in the business a long time ago and I got chewed up and spit out just like countless others, so I'm always happy when my favorite musicians can actually find a way to make a living in this evil business!