Jeff finally speaks on the record about NM, etc.

I also found a lot of the money talk interesting - I understand that is usually private, but it seemed a little weird and I'm just interested in all of the little things that made up the relationship of the band and the guys themselves. I know I'll never get the answer to this - but I am really curious as to exactly how much each guy makes or has made over the course of the band's career. Do they just barely squeak by? Do they have money in the bank, do they have to do any work outside of music to stay afloat? I was in the business a long time ago and I got chewed up and spit out just like countless others, so I'm always happy when my favorite musicians can actually find a way to make a living in this evil business!

Without other interests I'd bet barely squeek by, but this includes a nice home 150k+ and a decent vehicle. The money is in the touring. I'm sure it's painful touring in the US because the few times I saw Nevermore they were not headliners and the clubs were not full. It's not shocking Jeff/Van were willing to hear they wanted to skip out on the US TOUR...

Warrel they are making you out to look like a fucking dick and Jeff talking about money just makes you out to look shady. Like I said before it was nobody elses business and you should fuckin answer it now. You didn't ever go there in your interviews.

It's better to just man up and remain quiet, those who truely know and need to know, know. Airing laundry publicly just furthers uneeded drama and wayward speculations. What is done is done and forge ahead.

As Jeff stated he went as far with NM as he believed he could. When your on a personal level and all of the sudden ideas dry up and the creative block blinders come on along with an uncertainty between members it is a very tough thing to overcome. Some new and perhaps old talent perhaps may just what is needed. I just hope all the douchebaggery is left out of all the members former and present in their respective material.

I always thought the songwriter gets the most money. Or should. Didn't Jeff write alot of the music? But if there was already a pre-made contract that they follow then I guess that doesn't count.

I've had to deal with this a lot recently (i'm officially over trying to do anything in a band as even REMOTELY a source of income, all dreams crushed, now just full on hobby and i'm so much fucking happier to be able to do what i want without dealing with rockstars/egos/money) and the way it generally works is everyone who contributes to the song gets a small portion.

there's music and lyrics, so lets say for example billy writes the lyrics, joey writes the guitar and instrumentation. joey and billy both get 50%, everyone else gets nothing (this is copyright law mind you, any band where they have an agreement could be whatever they decide and which is why if someone is in a band for a career they need an agreement in writing for sure unless they want to deal with ridiculous shit eventually). however lets say that billy the singer writes the lyrics, joey the guitarist writes the guitars/instrumentation and then the bassist jamal writes some of the guitar riffs, now jamal is in the deal. so that's 33% for each of them.

the way it generally works for copyright is that anyone who contributes to a song, no matter how great or small, becomes a joint owner and gets a share of the profits, but not full control over the intellectual rights etc (for example someone who wrote one riff can't bar them from using it in a commercial for tampons, but will get money out of it). so they like to have everyone become joint authors so that it's pretty easy to divy up and there's not debates about how small of a part someone wrote or how big, because that could get a bit crazy though the only downside is lets say you have a falling out and you wrote most of the lyrics, most of the riffs, and the guitarist and vocalist wrote only some, they still get an equal share of the money too, which would screw a career musician a bit. the drummer or people who didn't write any melodies/lyrics don't get anything from the royalties, but they can get hired as a performer and then they get some money, or they could have a copyright over the sound recording etc an dthey'd get money from a licensing deal or something.

tl;dr the music business fucking sucks, money in bands fucking sucks, and all of that sucks the passion out of everything and destroys friends if any one member/person decides to change/be a dick.

Not exactly. There's money from writing the song, divided as you said; also, if the song gets recorded, there's money for the performance of said song. (Depending on if the recording makes any money, if not, nobody gets paid)

The division is also up to the band. For instance, this is why Megadeth hit such a rough patch in the late 90's. Dave Mustaine wrote 90% of the music and lyrics, but the rest of the band wanted a bigger share of the writing dollars. He didn't allow that, though. For obvious reasons.