Jens Bogren mixed and mastered my bands new album!

Maggai

Oct 26, 2003
www.abnormal1.cjb.net
Hey!

So my band just released our new album "The Fall of Therenia" digitally.
It was mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren, I assume you know of this guy. But if not, he's worked with Opeth, Soilwork, Devin Townsend, Amon Amarth, Ihsahn etc. We also recorded the drums in his studio in Sweden, Fascination Street Studios. Working with this guy was so awesome.

People seem to call us melodic death metal or progressive death metal and stuff like that now. Last album people called us extreme metal. So I don't know. It's a combination of death metal, thrash metal, modern metal, mellow melodic stuff, acoustic stuff and progressive parts. And som black metal parts. Everything we love in one nice mix!

And Bjørn "Speed" Strid from Soilwork sings guest vocals on the song Landfall!

Here's some teasers, videos, words from Jens Bogren etc.

Listen to the whole album here or at Spotify and such things:
https://soundcloud.com/aspherium/sets/the-fall-of-therenia

Video teaser with some clips from rehearsal and recording. And mixing mastering with Bogren.

Some thoughts about the album from Jens Bogren.

One of my favorites from the album:

The song with Bjørn from Soilwork.

Someone uploaded this new song to youtube. It's a fast one.

You can preorder the cd at Aspherium - Official Store
And vinyl will be out later this year.

Hope to hear your thoughts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything about this is awesome.
Congrats man, you have some killer stuff going on there! Going with Jens for the production for your kind of music was genious as well, it sounds huge.

Sooo....you gained a new fan :) Just pre-ordered the album, the tracks sound amazing, really dig the music. (And the Bogren mix fits it perfectly)

Thanks guys, that is awesome to hear! We are really happy with the production on this album! Jens was definitely the right choice. Such an ear for details, and an amazingly hard worker. Also super into fishing!

Osum, thanks so much for pre-ordering! That is really cool!!

Cheers!

Holy shit I find it awesome how the entire lowend is a little spread out through both L/R channels. Audio blasphemy. Awesome shit! Keep up the good work.

Sounds really good! :) Worked with Jens and his Team for some projects and really love the work of them. Any infos on the production/mixing?

Thanks guys, and awesome that you guys pre-ordered!
Yeah, there is some low end spread in the stereo field. They had to adjust that for the vinyl version, as well as some other things.

Sorry, I don't really have that much to share about his techniques. He worked so damn fast, it was really hard to keep up with what was going on. His attention to detail is insane, and he had lots of great suggestions that made some of the songs even better. That really made me want to have him produce our next album, and see what he will come up with when we work with him all the way. He very rarely tweaked things solo, usually in the mix, which was pretty cool. I didn't always hear the difference until we A/B'd it, and then it was really clear.

I'm not sure what he did to the drums, but the kick is mostly natural, but there is a trigger blended in as well. There was lots of stuff he left unedited because it gave more life to the song, and that was the feel we wanted to go with as well. So there are some things you could call "mistakes" on here, but it just makes it sound like a real band in our opinion. Although some of that stuff kinda bothered me, but I've gotten over it :)

Guitars were a modded rectifier I believe

Thanks guys, and awesome that you guys pre-ordered!
Yeah, there is some low end spread in the stereo field. They had to adjust that for the vinyl version, as well as some other things.

Sorry, I don't really have that much to share about his techniques. He worked so damn fast, it was really hard to keep up with what was going on. His attention to detail is insane, and he had lots of great suggestions that made some of the songs even better. That really made me want to have him produce our next album, and see what he will come up with when we work with him all the way. He very rarely tweaked things solo, usually in the mix, which was pretty cool. I didn't always hear the difference until we A/B'd it, and then it was really clear.

I'm not sure what he did to the drums, but the kick is mostly natural, but there is a trigger blended in as well. There was lots of stuff he left unedited because it gave more life to the song, and that was the feel we wanted to go with as well. So there are some things you could call "mistakes" on here, but it just makes it sound like a real band in our opinion. Although some of that stuff kinda bothered me, but I've gotten over it :)

Guitars were a modded rectifier I believe

Great thanks, I know what its like when you work with great producers/engineers, the work can feel insane sometimes due to the detail going in.

And the"mistakes" I think I know what you mean from what I have heard, and it makes sense that to keep something sounding natural that is played at insane speed the best thing to do is not edit it like crazy. Its got a real great vibe and I am sure you are proud of it - which is the main thing.