Jess and the Ancient Ones

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
An old friend of mine emailed me this this morning with a recommendation of a band that I had never heard before. Needless to say, I enjoyed the "hell" out of what I heard. It's non-pretentious prog rock/metal lite with some big hooks, soaring leads, and very nice female vocals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the vocals alot. Not to girly and not to forced. This stuff seems to be on the rise now.

I couldnt get into The Devil's Blood. The vocals annoyed me. Blood Ceremony are good but for short periods of time. After a while it makes me sleepy.

Certainly pretty cool stuff coming from my hometown. Managed to catch them live a few weeks ago at the Tuska festival, works sweet live too (interesting lineup too with 3 guitarists on stage).

The label is selling the CD for 14 euros (= around 17USD) including worldwide shipping, not too bad considering it's out in very limited area so far. Here's the direct link:
http://www.svartrecords.com/shoppe/releases/1018-jess-and-the-ancient-ones-cd.html

Amazing debut. I am addicted to it. Guaranteed top 10 for 2012 and the year still has new ones from Witchcraft, Graveyard, and To-Mera to look forward to. This has been a GREAT year for new music!

The name sucks...That alone keeps people away from trying it, but a Glenn recommendation is a good thing

Sounds good. Thanks for sharing. It has a really unique and cool retro sound (dont know why but something about the instruments remind me of Mercyful Fate/Ghost), mixed with a bit of indy/dark age. Very cool sound. Like the female vocals too.