Job suggestions

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So here's my situation fellas - as many know, I graduated from college in May '09 with a BS in Geography, concentration in Land Use Planning. That field I'm discovering is pretty much out of the question these days, as there is no shortage of recently laid-off Planners out there with far more qualifications than I, so I've shifted my focus elsewhere, scanning classifieds and such (as well as going for a Networking certificate from my local community college)

However, my issue is that my work experience consists of a summer working at Subway, a summer doing landscaping, and a summer interning at the Westchester County Planning Department, hardly a massive breadth of work experience. I've been perpetually scanning the classified ads, applying to entry-level admin. assistant, Customer Service Rep, etc. positions, but lack of experience is perpetually killing me, and my degree clearly isn't worth much in the face of that; I guess I'm starting this thread to ask you guys - in your expert :)D) opinion, is my only option really to go work in a fucking grocery store or some other equally menial job (which thus far I've avoided applying to because of how little they pay), just so I can pay my dues and build up a foundation of work experience? Fat lot of good this fucking degree is doing me if so, but that's what it's looking like :erk:

Thoughts?

When all else fails go into construction..If you learn the trade you can make some decent money in it..or be a stagehand or live sound engineer...just throwin some randoms out there for ya

When all else fails go into construction..If you learn the trade you can make some decent money in it..or be a stagehand or live sound engineer...just throwin some randoms out there for ya

I appreciate it dude, though I'm pretty set on the IT thing (with the Networking certificate I mentioned) as far as trades go; at this point more looking for something I can get with my skill set (such as it is :erk: ) as of now, and while I guess I'm pretty certain some shift-based grocery/food-service thing is my only option, I guess I started this thread cuz, well, hope springs eternal :D

It sucks, because I've managed to charm my way into a few interviews over the past few months, and they've gone absurdly well (I honestly can't fathom how anyone could've make a better impression), but I always lose out to the candidates with more proven experience :cry:

I feel for ya dude. The cold, hard truth is that a degree really is nothing without *some* experience. The way most people land their initial "real, big-boy job" gig out of college is through interning, temping, and networking (it really is about who you know). Once you have that initial gig, and some experience to put on a resume, things get relatively easier.

With your experience, I would look into a few temp agencies around your area and just try to find some entry level work somewhere. Or, go for another internship. It seems that with your degree, maybe you should look into civil engineering firms. They seem somewhat related. Maybe they will have some entry level admin work or IT work.

Also, talk to buddies, professors, exhaust the options from your previous school to search for jobs. It's fucking tough right now. I'm looking to get out of my current gig but have little experience in other fields and am unsure if I want to go into law enforcement.

Is it just the notion of starting a career at the moment, or is it about the money?

Bro, if you want easy money, forget retail or the grocery store idea IMO. While you are searching for your first real "gig", I'd suggest waitering, bar tending, or valet parking. You are a very outgoing dude and could make a LOT of money bartending or serving in the meantime. I used to work at a small Mexican place and those bartenders made a KILLING. Try to find a small time place in your area and see if they need help.

You will make wayyyy more cash doing that than at any crappy retail job. Retail sucks balls man. :-D

-Joe

I have 15 years in Quality Control, I've been Quality Manager for last several years, I helped my company go through the process of getting certified for ISO, then QS, and as of 5 years ago, TS:16949. I'm a qualified auditor to TS standards (separate training course) and all of this was done with NO degree. I can tell you know there have been a couple times I've passed around my resume and gotten VERY positive feedback from a couple places as far as $$$. The point I'm making is that while a degree is often good and a prerequisite, its by no means the most important thing. Job experience is a lot more important than people realize sometimes. Not that I make the greatest money in the world, not by far but my potential for increasing my salary is there if I jumped to another company and my lack of having a degree would not hurt me in any way at this point.

I just say this as an example that you'd be surprised where you can end up in a few years if you just jump into the job market where you can. Especially these days when so many things can be looked at as linked to the field you studied in. If there is some way to apply on the job experience towards your chosen profession, even if the 2 are seemingly unrelated, its makes your resume look that much better and the degree becomes less of a dominating factor. Also gives you some wiggle room when you do find yourself in a position to possibly get something related to your field

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do man, it sucks out there right now unfortunately

Could be worse homeslice, try having a BA Music Industry and minor in Audio Production :Smug:.

If you join a wedding band I'll crash every wedding you play, no doubt :headbang:

Could be worse homeslice, try having a BA Music Industry and minor in Audio Production :Smug:.

If you join a wedding band I'll crash every wedding you play, no doubt :headbang:

lol, snap, National Diploma (2 A-levels) in Music Performence and a half finished Foundation Degree in Music Production...

not to mention some shit A-Levels...

Thanks for the suggestions guys - Joe, good call on the temp. agencies dude, I'll look into those, as well as Civil Engineering firms; the idea of another internship doesn't exactly thrill me, but then again I made $10/hour at the Planning Dept., so I could live with that! I certainly wouldn't mind starting a career, but I also am not too picky, and something tells me most jobs that I'll be able to get probably won't be things I'd want to make a career out of, but ya never know! Overall though, I would say money is the primary motivator (within reason of course, I know a dude who makes bank working with a team drilling tunnels down in Queens, but needless to say that's a bit too high-risk for my tastes :D) Valet is probably out of the question with my driving record, but maybe I'll look into one of those bartending schools, good call!

Carlos, that sounds like an awesome situation you're in dude, doubtless achieved through lots of hard work and dedication, hats off to ya :headbang: And I think we're on the same page, I've definitely realized how important experience is, but I certainly appreciate the reassurance!

And Bauder, at least you've got the Lake Welch experience man, that'll definitely come in handy I'd say (not for a MI career necessarily, but let's be honest, how many recent grads from the program at SUCO do you think are doing anything related to that now? I'm guessing you could count 'em on one hand :lol: ) And I'll be sure to get you on the guest list :D

Civil Engineering would be my bet with your BS and experience. My other bet (one I'll be using myself pretty soon) is getting a job at a pub. Not a bar, but a pub. Generally good atmosphere, never over crowded (except on St. Patty's day, then you're screwed).

Here's how I got into IT dude, fwiw. During my time at uni I took one year out to transform my degree into what is called a "sandwich degree". I knew full well what the market would be like when I would leave uni in my final year, flooded with noobs who had degrees of great quality but no actual experience- I was scared of being one, and needed something to diffrentiate myself from them. So thats when i got a job as basicaly a support engineer (glorified call admin really) paying a pittance (around £14,000). It ranged from password resets, to cable patching.

Of course originally, I had no idea that I would be going back there to start what could be a "career". So i sucked it up in that year for what could be called an internship or so, and lucky enough for me, whilst I was taking my finals in the summer my former boss called me up asking me if I would be interested in coming back as I had impressed him in my year there.

He originally wanted me to move up to Derby (sneap territory), but I declined and said there was no way I could do that end of, having all sorts of commitments here. Two days later he called back saying.. ok how about if we offer you the job in Bristol, im sure we'll sort it out. And that was that, really. I started literally the week after my exams (no holiday which was a huge bummer), most of my mates took from july to xmas and then began their job hunting which was they found out later, was to be a bit of a bum decision. Worked out in the long run though!

I've learnt the following from that:

1. A degree is a piece of paper, a ticket for interview, and that means nothing else the minute you are being interview'd. I have a friend who got a first class honours, whereas I got a 2:1 honours, and he earns less than me now.

2. You have to get your arse out there and and start lower ladder- just because you have a degree doesnt mean you are automatically going to walk into some $40,000 a year job straight away... it just doesnt happen as firms need major experience in the upper hierarchy roles.

3. You make your own luck- if you have work ethic, (and it sure sounds like you do from what I know of you Mr Hedwig)- you'll be quids in, in the long run :D

Thanks for the suggestions guys - Joe, good call on the temp. agencies dude, I'll look into those, as well as Civil Engineering firms; the idea of another internship doesn't exactly thrill me, but then again I made $10/hour at the Planning Dept., so I could live with that! I certainly wouldn't mind starting a career, but I also am not too picky, and something tells me most jobs that I'll be able to get probably won't be things I'd want to make a career out of, but ya never know! Overall though, I would say money is the primary motivator (within reason of course, I know a dude who makes bank working with a team drilling tunnels down in Queens, but needless to say that's a bit too high-risk for my tastes :D) Valet is probably out of the question with my driving record, but maybe I'll look into one of those bartending schools, good call!

Carlos, that sounds like an awesome situation you're in dude, doubtless achieved through lots of hard work and dedication, hats off to ya :headbang: And I think we're on the same page, I've definitely realized how important experience is, but I certainly appreciate the reassurance!

And Bauder, at least you've got the Lake Welch experience man, that'll definitely come in handy I'd say (not for a MI career necessarily, but let's be honest, how many recent grads from the program at SUCO do you think are doing anything related to that now? I'm guessing you could count 'em on one hand :lol: ) And I'll be sure to get you on the guest list :D

The reason I mentioned internships is because it's great experience for a resume and the big benefit of: networking! The more people you meet, the more opportunities you have, plain and simple! This can also work out from a temp agency. Temp agencies can be cool because you can try different places out until you find your niche. The networking aspect applies here too.

Yeah dude, for easy money, bartending FTW! I'd stay away from the chain restaurants that attract a less than desirable crowd late at night (around here at least) and maybe look for something "mom and pops" oriented, a pub, or something higher end.

Those assholes made way more than I did in a night, hahaha. And when you start attracting regulars, they will always come back to you.

Also, to the others in the thread, I somewhat agree and disagree about having a degree. Yes, it is primarily experience that will get you the job, but I guarantee a high percentage of employers want the degree (depending on the field of course, but for some it matters A LOT!) Also it's likely that your paygrade options are higher with a degree in hand.

I know successful people without degrees, but in the mind of employers it's pretty much required if you want to stay and move up in a company. This is how it is around here...YMMV.

-Joe

Thanks Kev, I always wondered what your story was - sounds like you've done well for yourself, and I appreciate the advice! :kickass: And yeah, to revise my earlier statement Joe, I would definitely take a lower paying job in a field that I thought I'd want a career in (or would be related to that), rather than a high-paying but pretty much dead-end gig; I guess the former didn't occur to me before because I thought (and still do think) it's pretty unlikely, but it'd certainly be nice! Also, good call on the pub thing (Andrew as well), I certainly wouldn't mind serving a bunch of townies over rowdy drunken dickfaces :D

Thanks Kev, I always wondered what your story was - sounds like you've done well for yourself, and I appreciate the advice! :kickass: And yeah, to revise my earlier statement Joe, I would definitely take a lower paying job in a field that I thought I'd want a career in (or would be related to that), rather than a high-paying but pretty much dead-end gig; I guess the former didn't occur to me before because I thought (and still do think) it's pretty unlikely, but it'd certainly be nice! Also, good call on the pub thing (Andrew as well), I certainly wouldn't mind serving a bunch of townies over rowdy drunken dickfaces :D

For sure dude. I for one had limited patience with my customers, but that is how I am naturally and as a server you deal with a slew of other problems. I could write a book lol.

As a bartender, learn the basics, learn the common drinks, pour an awesome fucking draft beer, gab with the customers like they are your best friends and you will make bank. :)

-Joe

It sucks, because I've managed to charm my way into a few interviews over the past few months, and they've gone absurdly well (I honestly can't fathom how anyone could've make a better impression), but I always lose out to the candidates with more proven experience :cry:

Don't you hate that? It's pretty soul crushing to have such an awesome interview and then not get the job. I'm in a similar situation where i'm having a hard time finding work in my chosen field and now i'm looking to diversify myself so i can find something else.

Hahaha, well definitely not coke, but I think I may see if I can find a wedding band or something to join up with, one never knows!

Nothing wrong with a wedding band ;)

Seriously, I'm exiting the one that I've been in for years in the next few months, but if things don't work out for me musically I would not hesitate to start another one aimed at a broad audience.
The last wedding I went to the band were paid $1,000 each for the night. In the time that I was there I heard them play 6 songs!!!

Yeah, they sounded good, but not that good.

Even if you do find a nice career, this is a great paying hobby if you find the right people and some regular gigs.

Companies will give you a sales position with pretty much any college degree. I know people that have non-business related degrees that work in sales. All of them are on commission, but you have the potential to earn quite a bit.

Geography and Land Use Planning sounds like some type of a government job to me. Marcus are you looking to move anywhere for this job? Often postions are open in a field but are located a long distance from where you want them to be.

You could try looking at federal and state jobs long distance from your folks house. Like real long distance, the entire united states.