FUUUU to myself (kinda of..)

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Hey guys,

Last june, I earned my college degree on computing science after 10 long years of school. I should've graduated by 2004, but I was thinking my band would tour at the time (something that didnt happen due to the other members) and I was starting to get some clients as an AE, so I decided to quit. To make a long story short, now working as a AE on a big studio, I got tired of not being paid well and being screwed up by my boss/clients and decided to go back to school, earn my degree, and find a real job. I got the degree..

Now, after applying for a bunch of jobs, i got no response so far from any of them (which was expected), but it feels the pressure is getting bigger each day. I've been extremely unexcited with my current job to the point that I am feeling kinda depressed and it is affecting both the quality of my work as my personal life. To make things worse, my wife is acting each time worse in regards to my situation. She clearly shows she has no respect for my job, saying things, acting disrespectfully in its regard, doesnt giving a damn if I am doing something OK. Well, she's a coordinator os the high school she works so she has a job with way more 'status' than mine, so that could explain a little bit her behavior. But yet...

Anyway, I am really a bit down with this situation. I know it won't be easy to find a job with job experience only being an AE or as a computer services freelancer. To make things worse ,95% of the computing jobs here requires programming/java which i completely hate and can't do at all (actually I could program php a few years back). I am looking for something in the networking area but those jobs here are rare. And with no real experience, not even trainee hours on my resumé, nobody is going to take risks hiring me.

I know I shot myself on the foot with the way i acted on my first college years. But now at age 28, with two daughters (damn fertile penis), a lot of bills to pay, and a wife expecting things out of me that are beyond reality, I need to make up for the lost time but I have no clue. I know that it will be really tough to give me any helpful advice, due to the country differences, but anyway. Just wanted to share.

Get certifications. Degrees are nice but most employers want a combo that includes certs. Go for ones like Network+, CCNA, etc. Thats if your country is like the states

Dude, don´t know about your marriage, but it´s not hard to find a job with an IT degree. You can try to work on big IT consulting companies, they are always hiring and paying certifications for their workers. Also it´s easier to get a shit job doing something you don´t really like and then migrate to something better on the same company. Problem is that you will be surrounded by nerds forever, but if you could take the college you are probably ready.