JOE PERRY Believes AEROSMITH Will Record New Music Again

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
AEROSMITH guitarist Joe Perry, whose autobiography, "Rocks: My Life In And Out Of Aerosmith", hits stores October 7, tells Yahoo! Music that he is confident the band will record new material in the not-too-distant future. "I have to think we're going into the studio again, just to lay out some new songs," he says. "I don't know how it's going to go as far as sales, but as far as us as artists, I think we're gonna have to go in."Despite the fact it was a commercial disappointment, Perry feels that AEROSMITH's latest effort, 2012's "Music From Another Dimension!", was "one of the best records [the group] has done in years." He adds: "Over the last 20 years, we'd get these requests, like, 'Why don't you make a record like the old ones?' I think we got back to the real deal with the last record, but … it never got the push it should have from the label."More than four decades after AEROSMITH's inception, Perry believes that newer rock acts lack the edge that was prevalent when his band was just starting out. "The music really was a lot more than it is today, more of a statement," he says. "It was more of an 'us-against-them' thing, kind of the background marching orders for the revolution, for the change that happened in the '50s and '60s. Bands would go out there and play just for the joy of being able to go out and play music, without this huge celebrity thing that comes along with it now."Released on November 6, 2012, "Music from Another Dimension!" debuted at No. 5 on The Billboard 200 album chart, selling 63,000 copies in its first week of release. The group's previous collection of new songs, 2001's "Just Push Play", entered the chart at No. 2 with sales of 240,000 copies.Perry worked on "Rocks: My Life In And Out Of Aerosmith" with author David Ritz, who has written books with B.B. King, Jerry Wexler and Bettye LaVette.

More...