Joey how do you work through a mix?

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
I have always been curious of how you work through a mix. Not looking for what plugins you use or any of that stuff.

Do you start with drums soloed out?

Do you then Eq them?

Compression next if needed?

Do you add bass in next and fit that in with drums?

I think you see where i'm heading with these questions.

Maybe you could give some tips for everyone of how you work through a mix from start to finish.

Curious as well, I always have the tendency to solo drums despite the idea of mixing as a composite and soloing very minimally has been drilled into my head by everything I have read on the subject.

I mix as I go, so often times I have no idea what stuff sounds like solo'd.

I mix drums to a scratch, into a mastering chain. I know they'll cut cuz they're already against a scratch. I mix the actual guitars to the already mixed drums, and so on and so on.

If I'm making a tone, I start to make it, work with it, tweak it as we're tracking over time. Save / Update the preset over and over until I don't think I need to tweak it again.

I mix drums to a scratch, into a mastering chain. I know they'll cut cuz they're already against a scratch. I mix the actual guitars to the already mixed drums, and so on and so on.

If I'm making a tone, I start to make it, work with it, tweak it as we're tracking over time. Save / Update the preset over and over until I don't think I need to tweak it again.

Pretty much exactly how I work.

I never have a set method or work flow haha

When Joey says he mixes 'to a scratch'... it's a pretty damn good scratch. The 'demo' or writing versions of songs that Joey has sent me with the drums I've edited sound better than a lot of finished albums in all honesty.

Man your CPU must hate you.