John Carpenter Appreciation Thread

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
So what's your favorite JC movie? Mine has got to be Big Trouble in Little China. Anyone like his old school movies like The Thing, Escape From New York, or They Live?

I'm sure someone will mention Halloween as well.

Or we can make fun of his recent movies like Escape from LA and Vampires.

His crowning achievement is The Thing.

Although his homage to Night of the Living Dead was great (Assault on Precinct 13 -- I understand they're remaking this). Of course, Halloween, Escape from New York, Big Trouble are all more than worthy.

I did like Starman and Christine, but not as much as his others from pre-Big Trouble era. Everything after Big Trouble just began to suck, I'm sure we must be dealing with an intruder because I can't believe this is the same man today. (Same applies to John Landis).

JC's most underrated (and phenomenally brilliant film): THE FOG.
The music, the directing, the fog itself....all late night movie brilliance!

I thought Starman was OK, but nothing special. Christine was pretty bad IMO.

I guess I need to see The Fog.

The thing about John Carpenter is that some of his lesser films are still guilty pleasures: Vampires, In the Mouth of Madness, They Live, and even Village of the Damned. Let's face it, even Escape from New York gets a little pear-shaped at times.

And then there are films that should never have seen the light of day: Prince of Darkness (omg this was filmed on a single super-8 camcorder and he pocketed the rest for hemp I'm sure), Escape from LA (the gayest of gay sequels), and worst of all, Ghosts of Mars (so bad that it's laughable).

To this day, I've never seen Memoirs of an Invisible Man. Each time it's on, I'm asleep within minutes.

In the Mouth of Madness! I totally forgot about this one! I loved this movie when it came out. So much goofy campy fun.

They Live remains one of my favorites. The movie is so stupid you can't help but love it, especially with Roddy Piper spitting out corny-but-oh-so-awesome one lines. "Momma don't like tattle tales." haha

I thought Escape From LA was horrible, but you can't help but love Snake Plisken. I especially like the end of that movie. But yeah, it should have never been made, especially since it's just a more expensive, yet unfulfilling Escape From New York.

I love the Kurt Russell/John Carpenter tag team. Big Trouble, The Thing, both Escapes all worth a watch.

I almost bought Escape From New York for $6.99, but went with Big rouble since it's my fave. Next time I'll look for The Fog and Precinct 13

Bah .. "The Fog" "Prince Of Darkness" and "In The Mouth Of Madness" are probably my top 3 of him. The last 2 being some of the scariest film i have ever seen, i consider them horror masterpieces.

The first time I saw In the Mouth..., it scared me shitless in the theater.

I have got to see those other two.

I just prefer his goofy action films like They Live, Big Trouble, and Escape. It feeds my need for action all while making me laugh. And I still say Big Trouble is one of Kurt Russell's finest performances. Pure genius!

SO everyone recommends this Fog and In the Mouth of Madness?

I really like Big Trouble, but I didnt care for either Escape movie, nor Vampires. Its been a hell of along time since I saw starman, but I remember liking it. I think I read John Carpenter composes all of the music for his films. if so, he is quite a talented man.

Im not much of a horror fan. I remember a friend who was obsessed by Dario Argento, but I think he is just ok.

speed said:

I really like Big Trouble, but I didnt care for either Escape movie, nor Vampires. Its been a hell of along time since I saw starman, but I remember liking it. I think I read John Carpenter composes all of the music for his films. if so, he is quite a talented man.

Im not much of a horror fan. I remember a friend who was obsessed by Dario Argento, but I think he is just ok.
You know, it's one of those things where you have to be somewhat of a genre freak to appreciate it more. Since you're not a horror fan, you might just think it's all just dated and silly. But who knows, everything is worth a rental. :cool:

speed said:
He does. I love the soundtrack for Escape From New York; simple, yet effective. And the score for the sequel was actually better than the movie itself.

And of course everyone knows Halloween's score.

speed said:

Dario Argento rules. Check out "Inferno", "Susperia" and "Phenomena" (with heavy metal soundtrack - seeing little Jennifer Conelly running while "The Duellists" music is heard)

i just saw "They Live" like a week ago or so on TV for the first time.

that movie is excellent! (yes although very cheesy, i thought it was really well done)

In The Mouth Of Madness is another one of my favorites, I didn't even know it was a carpenter movie the first time i watched it, one of my friends rented it because Front Line Assembly used a lot of samples from it on some album...

i was never really big on the Escape from.. movies...

The Fog is one i keep being told i need to see so i'll check it out eventually, i was sure i saw it once in the walmart $5.50 movie bin, but not lately so maybe it was something else.. meh

Ghosts of Mars, thats shit.

unless i missed some other horrible movie of his that isn't coming to mind, i think the others are great

as for a favorite of his, probably In The Mouth Of Madness
sam neill! *swoooooon*

J. said:
are any of Carpenter's usual actors in The Fog (Donald Pleasance, Keith David, Kurt Russell, etc)?
Janet Leigh (Psycho), Tom Atkins (Escape from New York, Halloween III, Lethal Weapon), Dan O' Bannon.

Basically, you'll recognize Adrienne Barbeau, Tom Atkins, and Dan O'Bannon from Escape from New York, which was made 12 months after The Fog.

Jamie Lee Curtis is probably the 'biggest' star in The Fog.

Ill give em a try, Im not above horror movies, I just never got into them. Sounds like I have some good recommendations.