John Merrik - The Elephant Man

Xorv

Drug the Priest
May 30, 2005
the bowels of lochness
Has anyone ever seen this movie? The fact that this is based on a true story makes this a perfect topic for "The Philosopher"

It's disgusting how they treat this man! Just because his appearance is not normal! For some time he was actually a in a freak show! The main attraction, and afterward he would be locked up in a cage like an animal!!! Anyways....I'll post more thoughts later....IT'S 2AM!!

yeah I was forced to watch it 10 years ago in my jesuit High School religion class. Its a good movie. Still the guy was frankly otherworldly in appearance. Thus why shouldnt the common multitude act hostile to him?

speed said:
yeah I was forced to watch it 10 years ago in my jesuit High School religion class. Its a good movie. Still the guy was frankly otherworldly in appearance. Thus why shouldnt the common multitude act hostile to him?

Because he is a man! Not an animal!

Xorv said:
Because he is a man! Not an animal!

Ha, what an idealist! Do you venture out in the world and interact with normal americans every once in a while? If anyone is even slightly unattractive, feeble, deformed, etc, one is met with either pity or disgust--which to me is perhaps the true way we should treat every poor suffering human.

speed said:
which to me is perhaps the true way we should treat every poor suffering human.

Got any good reasons as to why we should act this way?

speed said:
which to me is perhaps the true way we should treat every poor suffering human.

Wow. Talk about a hateful outlook on others, not to mention an attitude filled with close-minded arrogance. So, by your logic, Speed, we all should mistreat, disrespect, and look down upon those who suffer from physical/mental hindrances?
I should immediately judge another human being based on their deformed, maybe grotesque physical appearance? I should judge an individual with a brain, or nervous system that doesn't function properly?

Sorry, but there is no logical reasoning in that outlook. Maybe you could enlighten me?

Guitarmaster said:
Wow. Talk about a hateful outlook on others, not to mention an attitude filled with close-minded arrogance. So, by your logic, Speed, we all should mistreat, disrespect, and look down upon those who suffer from physical/mental hindrances?
I should immediately judge another human being based on their deformed, maybe grotesque physical appearance? I should judge an individual with a brain, or nervous system that doesn't function properly?

Sorry, but there is no logical reasoning in that outlook. Maybe you could enlighten me?

Oh its not logical, rather realistic. Im just saying we treat such unfortunate people with either pity or disgust. Next time you see a retarded guy, another man with a huge birthmark on his face, or a frail old woman, think what reactions you have. I doubt one thinks hey this guy could be my equal, my friend, etc. Instead one takes pity, or cant bear the sight of the person.

And as for everyone being treated this way, this is merely my very different sense of humor. Think about it a bit. Im sorry I am not pc.

speed said:
Oh its not logical, rather realistic. Im just saying we treat such unfortunate people with either pity or disgust. Next time you see a retarded guy, another man with a huge birthmark on his face, or a frail old woman, think what reactions you have. I doubt one thinks hey this guy could be my equal, my friend, etc. Instead one takes pity, or cant bear the sight of the person.

And as for everyone being treated this way, this is merely my very different sense of humor. Think about it a bit. Im sorry I am not pc.

Me neither. I think we should start eliminating mental deficients. Some guy who can't tie his shoe laces...off him.

Speed, you see not everyone arrogant and ignorant and instantly judge what they don't understand or can't comprehend. By saying people in general do act this way is quite true, but not everyone does.it's. We're all humans beings, and in general we all are equal. No matter how ugly or how breathtaking one is. Don't pity the retard, don't vomit on the midget....treat them like you'd treat an average joe.

The retard is like me in only the most basic ways. I can't treat him like a regular person anymore than I can a dog or other creature that isn't a regular person. He's defective. It's not ignorance, I'm afraid, it's the ugly truth. We're not all equal. Science and even basic observation show this. Life is cruel...

There's little I can't comprehend or understand in this instance. The retard's metacognition lags woefully behind mine and others.

There is no argument here. Even you call him a "retard." Which differentiates him from non-retards in that he is deficient mentally. He's already judged by this point.

I don't pity. It aids neither me nor its object.

Demiurge said:
Me neither. I think we should start eliminating mental deficients. Some guy who can't tie his shoe laces...off him.

I also would like to make some changes to better the world you and I live in. Let's do lunch.