John Rutsey (Rush) dies at 55

poundingmetal74

Demons Will Fly
Oct 18, 2004
Canada, eh
www.finalstage.ca
A few days late, he passed away on May 11th:
"John Rutsey, a founding member of Toronto rock band Rush, passed away this weekend according to Rush management company Anthem Entertainment. He was 55.

Rutsey was famous for playing on Rush’s 1974 debut album, including the song “In The Mood,” before deciding to leave the group due to health concerns. Rutsey suffered from diabetes and was unable to go on extended tours with the group.

Rutsey was replaced by drummer Neil Peart, which marked a turning point in the band’s sound towards progressive rock.

Rush formed in 1968 in Toronto and was originally composed of guitarist Alex Lifeson, bassist Jeff Jones (who shortly thereafter was replaced by Geddy Lee) and Rutsey.

According to a 1989 interview with Alex Lifeson on the Rockline Radio program quoted by Wikipedia.org, Rutsey, “gave up playing (drums) shortly after he left the band and went into bodybuilding. He competed on an amateur level for a while, doing that for a few years.”

As of Monday afternoon, no official statement has been released on a cause of death, nor plans for a memorial service."

I know this'll piss off a lot of Rush fans (As I'm a Peart fan myself), but "Rush" is my favorite Rush album.

RIP John.

Sad demise indeed, he wasn´t old. I don´t like the debut, I go from FBN to GUP, then HYF, then "Counterparts" and TFE, and now SAA.

Quite sad. He played in one of mu top5 bands ever.

I don´t agree with poundingmetal74 about "Rush" album. IMO besides "Hold your fire" and "Presto", "Rush" is my less favourite album thuogh it contains three amazing songs like "Finding my way", "In the mood" and classic "Working man".

RIP John.

I don't think you liking the first album will make us Rush fans mad. After all, I have a least favorite Rush album, but in saying that, they haven't put out a bad album yet! R.I.P. Mr. Rutsey!!:kickass:

His contribution to RUSH was minimal, but even so, I'm saddened that he's gone at such a young age. RIP Mr. Rutsey:cry:
And for the record, I like RUSH's first album.

I love Rush's first album. Definitely one of their best IMO, Peart's absence aside. I'm a drummer, so frankly, that album is easier to play along with than any of the others. :lol:

Did not know that history about Rutsey, especially the health stuff. Funny, but I always thought that maybe he was "asked" to leave the band when they found Neil Peart. A "next level" kind of thing, if you will. Fate is a funny thing...

Anyway, RIP John Rutsey. I enjoyed the only playing that I knew from you.

Well, before Rutsey quit, Alex and Geddy wanted to go into a prog direction...Yes, King Crimson. Rutsey wanted to go in a Bad Company direction.