John Sykes

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
A song with Sykes and Lynott. The song itself is ok and nice to listen but a bit slushy and cheesy and very dated but the reason for posting is John Sykes' guitar solo and tone in general. The guy had beautiful tones and such sweet melodic lines without over shredding. The little fills and killer solo at 2.35 in this song is just perfection for my ears. The only other guy who I love in the same style is Doug Aldrich who is rocking out in Whitesnake these days of course. John Sykes needs to come back and do something!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! Pretty Maids covered this song awesomely on their 'Stripped' CD.
I've been a huge John Sykes fan for a long time. The guy has played on some of the best albums ever for Whitesnake and the few for Thin Lizzy he was on were great. Always liked Blue Murder and Tygers of Pan Tang as well.

Where is he now? He's not in Thin Lizzy anymore right?

Yeah I think he left Lizzy last year. There was a fall out of some kind. I didn't know Pretty Maids covered this tune and listening now on youtube and it's even better than the original I think with the better sound quality. The guitar is still not as good as Sykes though hehe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I think he left Lizzy last year. There was a fall out of some kind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44aWUX2qOD4

He did not leave Thin Lizzy. Thin Lizzy died several years ago and when Phil was put into the ground it was over. What it is now is a cover band plain and simple.
I like Sykes a lot but having that guy fronting a band called Thin Lizzy is just wrong, And what it is now is not any better.

He did not leave Thin Lizzy. Thin Lizzy died several years ago and when Phil was put into the ground it was over. What it is now is a cover band plain and simple.
I like Sykes a lot but having that guy fronting a band called Thin Lizzy is just wrong, And what it is now is not any better.

I tend to agree with you, as Lizzy are my #3 favorite artist of all time, but I will admit that I would have paid to see that line up with Sykes and Scott Gorham any day. I never got the chance to see them.

I've got all of Sykes solo releases, if you want to pick one up, I suggest 20th Century. Killer release.

I tend to agree with you, as Lizzy are my #3 favorite artist of all time, but I will admit that I would have paid to see that line up with Sykes and Scott Gorham any day. I never got the chance to see them.

Saw the Sykes-led version open up for Purple on the Bananas tour...had Gorham as well. I'm a huge Sykes fan, but it was a very bland by-the-book set that left me kinda cold....

Love Sykes' solo stuff, though. Definitely recommend the 1st 2 albums of his: Out Of My Tree and 20th Century.

Nice! Pretty Maids covered this song awesomely on their 'Stripped' CD.
I've been a huge John Sykes fan for a long time. The guy has played on some of the best albums ever for Whitesnake and the few for Thin Lizzy he was on were great.

Wasn't Sykes only on Thunder & Lightening? Not counting the live releases, anyway....

I was so pissed I was out of town when that lineup played in Chicago, I belive it was at the Double Door, or something like that....

I've got all of Sykes solo releases, if you want to pick one up, I suggest 20th Century. Killer release.

And stay FAR away from Nuclear Cowboy (& Loveland - unless you're in to the huge sappy ballads)

That would be awesome!

If anyone could make it happen, it'd be Glenn.....but would it put asses in seats? :Smokedev:

Wasn't Sykes only on Thunder & Lightening? Not counting the live releases, anyway....

Yeah, that's what I was referring to, T&L and Life/Live.

Anybody catch "That Metal Show" this weekend? They all listed their top five "debut albums" of all time, and Eddie had "Blue Murder" on his list. I about fell out of my seat when I saw that......

I was so pissed I was out of town when that lineup played in Chicago, I belive it was at the Double Door, or something like that....

Are you talking about when Thin Lizzy opened for Deep Purple, or a headlining Lizzy gig? Not sure about that, but I believe Lizzy opened for Deep Purple at the Chicago theater, on a tour where DP played Machine Head in its entirety.

Skipping that gig is one of my top 10 missed concerts regrets of all time actually. I was even asked to go, but for some reason chose not to.

Are you talking about when Thin Lizzy opened for Deep Purple, or a headlining Lizzy gig? Not sure about that, but I believe Lizzy opened for Deep Purple at the Chicago theater, on a tour where DP played Machine Head in its entirety.

Skipping that gig is one of my top 10 missed concerts regrets of all time actually. I was even asked to go, but for some reason chose not to.

I could swear that it was a "club" show, and never having been to the double door for anything in the past, I was looking forward to going...

3 words: Blue Murder reunite???

I would LOVE to see that.

Sir Exar Kun said:
Anybody catch "That Metal Show" this weekend? They all listed their top five "debut albums" of all time, and Eddie had "Blue Murder" on his list. I about fell out of my seat when I saw that......

I wouldn't be. That album is killer. I wore out my cassette back in the day. I still need to get it on CD.

I did not see the beginning of the episode to catch that part. But it was the first episode I have seen that Eddie was not a total jackass. Although he felled to mention Samhain in Danzig's introduction but that band probably never made it onto to the mighty Trunk's radar.
Yes Blue Murder debut was pretty damn good and a reunion of the first line up would be great to see. Sykes could do that then wait for Coverdale to die then start his Whitesnake cover band.