Johnny Cash

the_dying said:
Due to Phoenix' "Walk the line" I re-discovered Johnny Cash. Great music, great atmosphere. Anyone else?

Yes, the last three albums are totally great, and the production may be the best I've ever heard on "Solitary Man".
This alternative Music I like the most, but I also enjoy some of the older country songs.

If there is one film you have to see it is walk the line. I recommend it to anyone! Due to my young age (22) I never really knew who Johhny Cash was until I watched the film. That film has made me dig up his back catalogue and I must admit it is all rather good!

I used to get really drunk and sing Johnny cash....all the time....I have always had a relation to his lifestyle and fucked up life.....it always came through in his music......I am in no way a country music fan......but Johnny rokks

well, Johnny Cash was a rockstar without knowing it, he was living that life of stardom before television, before beatles, and for so long time he was placed in a second line, but he had been there before Elvis went, etc, etc..I began to listen to Cash like 8 years ago,
then I discover Hank Williams, John Denver, and with it later came Will Oldham, Bonnie Prince Billy, Pedro deLion, Mary Gauhtier "stars shine, clouds rain, I drink" fabulous line in country lyric I love this woman, this sort of sad-core-country music.
well, Johnny Cash Rules, and this movie is awesome, an absolut must....

"a boy named sue" is probably one of the worlds greatest songs.
but leo cohen... he's still probably the greatest northamerican songwriter.. cash is good, but not THAT good...sry :)

most people i know seem to know johnny cash more from his covers of hurt (NIN), one (u2), thirteen (danzig) and personal jesus (depeche mode) than his own work. the cover of hurt is superb and much more effective than the NIN version, but i can't say the same for the covers of thirteen and one. they are good but not better than the original. danzig's singing on thirteen is just too good to top. i have heard only a couple songs by johnny cash and have liked a couple though not all (i hung my head, i liked for instance). does anyone know songs that i should definitely check out?

LMAO his cover really isn´t more effective than NIN´s original, you just didn´t get the original.
*edit: by the way it can´t be, Hurt is Reznor´s song about him, the end of The Downward Spiral...it even should not be covered