Jon Oliva's Pain - Global Warning

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
To start with Jon used some of Criss’ previously recorded material, so this damn near a SAVATAGE record. So people don’t bitch about getting a new one because if I recall Jon said a good portion of the album came from back when he and Criss were writing

The album begins with the title track and has somewhat of a lengthy intro, but it sounds like Oliva in top form ripping apart the keys. I just love Jon’s voice so soft in parts, but then being about rough as sandpaper in others. The solo towards the end is very nice, I wonder if this is one of the guitar parts that Criss wrote. <b>Look At The World</b> is the perfect mid paced classic SAVATAGE style with organs and a rhythm that is unbelievably infectious. The third song picks it up a few notches as far as tempo. The truly aggressive side of the bands comes out majestically from the tone in the guitars and vocals to the ability of the lyrics to be shouted by any audience member, perfect for a live setting.

"Before I Hang" begins with that amazing organ sound of a more mid-paced track, but then it jumps to the more aggressive side. The addition of the backing chorus towards the end really adds to feeling of the later part in the song. In this part of the song I could totally hear Zak Stevens make a guest appearance with some counterpoint vocal tracks, very old school ’TAGE sounding. "Firefly" is one of my favorite tracks on the album, there is so much emotion behind Jon’s voice and the atmosphere of the all instruments intertwining is epic possibly without it meaning to be. This track relies heavily on the softer side of things perhaps along the same lines as "Believe"[/B, but with a heavier outro. The next one contains a crazy effect for the vocals in certain parts where it is supposed to sound more digital sounding. The overall effect is pretty interesting, and unexpected. The overall song is pretty good I think it is another song that would be great live thanks to the chorus along with an evil computer laugh half way through the song. The "digital" effects added to the guitar solo or at least what I think is a guitar is also pretty sweet. The alternating of acoustic guitars and an electric slide guitar are an interesting mix to the next one. "The Ride" is another one of those foot stomping amazing rhythm tracks that only coupled by superb chorus.

The mingling of the keys and guitars on "Walk Upon Water" is really "warm" sounding and gives me goose bumps listening to it. I think this is probably one the tracks that <b>Jon</b> used some of Criss’ recorded stuff. I think this track is just so unique and enchanting, easily one of the best on the album. "Stories" straight up could have came from the DOCTOR BUTCHER album aggressive as hell, but with a slightly more melodic touch and it is pretty slight. The track following is another one of Jon’s slow epic tracks with Jon assuming the "angel" role with his magnificent vocal tone compare to his "mephesto" tone. The second to last track implores the faster side once again while the last track is something slightly different. It is a split track one part is particularly slow and features only Jon and guitar. The first part though begins like one of the slower tracks until it really picks up speed and they sound almost like Zeppelin to me, which is something I never noticed in Jon’s writing til now.

9.5/10