Jon Oliva's Pain in Tampa

No Sava members.
They did play Doctor Butcher's "Don't Talk To Me."
Twas the highlight of the show to hear the entire place screaming "Talk, talk, talk, talk... FUCK YOU!!!"

Great night of music. Jon looks great and sounds even better, and the band was on fire. I was really impressed with how they all sounded. Was up front all night, great crowd, managed not to get doused with beer til the last song.

However, I thought both opening bands sucked. When you are a Queensryche tribute band, and your singer can't sing Silent Lucidity to save his life, you've got some problems....

Great night of music. Jon looks great and sounds even better, and the band was on fire. I was really impressed with how they all sounded. Was up front all night, great crowd, managed not to get doused with beer til the last song.

However, I thought both opening bands sucked. When you are a Queensryche tribute band, and your singer can't sing Silent Lucidity to save his life, you've got some problems....

Haha...agreed. The irony is that Todd La Torre was there at the show! (The new singer for Queensryche)

I know John Zahner is in Jet City, but I heard several comments along the lines that the band should have just been called "Jus' Shi**y"
JOP defintely brought it!!!!!!!!!!

We were there. I was hungover as hell when it started, but made it through.

Retribution was a good cover band. Damond can sound like almost any singer, so they should do good playing around town.

Seven Kingdoms were good also. Sound was a bit muddy, but overall enjoyed them.

Jet City..... not good at all. I will leave it at that.

JOP was pretty good. Being that I have seen them around a dozen times now, it was probably my least favorite. Jon sounded great as usual, but I really, really missed Matt Laporte. Jerry Outlaw is a great guitarist, but he just doesn't have the same feel. Matt used to sound just like Criss Oliva when he played his solos. RIP to both of them. Jerry didn't have the same tone either and I swear he changed a few of the solos as well. The two other new guys were alright, but something didn't seem quite right to me. I also wished they played HOTMK in order. Not sure why they decided to jumble it up???

Overall a good show and JOP was good, just not up to the level I am used to.

Retribution was a good cover band. Damond can sound like almost any singer, so they should do good playing around town.

JOP was pretty good. Being that I have seen them around a dozen times now, it was probably my least favorite. Jon sounded great as usual, but I really, really missed Matt Laporte. Jerry Outlaw is a great guitarist, but he just doesn't have the same feel. Matt used to sound just like Criss Oliva when he played his solos. RIP to both of them. Jerry didn't have the same tone either and I swear he changed a few of the solos as well. The two other new guys were alright, but something didn't seem quite right to me. I also wished they played HOTMK in order. Not sure why they decided to jumble it up???

I appreciate the honest take on the show. I truly don't understand why Jon just doesn't use the previous Tage members at this point. I don't think Jon is going to find another guitarist as good as Matt...it was wicked how much he played like Criss! With that said, I wish he had used Caffery and Middleton after Matt's passing.

~Brian~

and to think I actually 'paid' for a sound guy that night to make it sound better

:puke:

In response to all the negative criticism of the Queensryche cover band...Chicago's Ghost In The Ruins would've set the mood for JOP just right! Those guys truly do justice to the Savatage tunes! :headbang:

~Brian~

I agree that the chemistry and feel of JOP is different,... but they were damn fine! And yes - Jerry threw a few of his own fills/licks in there...

As far as Jet City.... I just think the bar was set higher than a "normal" gig - 25th Anniv, QR's new singer in the house. I know they said they only throw a few shows together a year.. but the guy is trying to sing Tate.... no easy feat. Gotta bring your A game though, and franky - it just wasn't

I had no idea when I spoke to Todd about Rising West that they were going to make that announcement a few days later.
The following night I spoke to Casey Grillo of Kamelot at the Queen Extravaganza show here in Orlando (excellent, btw) and they announced their new singer this week too!

So everybody get your new singer announcements out now, apparently this is the time to do it!