Jonahs keys / writing?

muzmaze

pyramontyrsuidvan
Mar 28, 2006
N.H., USA
Questions for Jonah.

I was wondering if you play any other instruments? Do you ever write any melodies or your ripping solos, lets say on guitar...or is everything that you create always done on the keys / piano?

Do you ever come up with melodies for Mike to build a song around? Or is all your keys added to what Mike has already written?

Being a huge EVH fan for many years...it was interesting to find out that many of his early melodies and guitar riffs were actually written on piano and then done on guitar, and this was early on and before his later years when he became known as a keyboard player as well as the guitar wizard.

If its all done on keys...then great, thats the way it should be, cause your work is phenominal!

Question for Jonah.

I was wondering if you play any other instruments? Do you ever write any melodies or your ripping solos, lets say on guitar...or is everything that you create always done on the keys / piano?

Being a huge EVH fan for many years...it was interesting to find out that many of his early melodies and guitar riffs were actually written on piano and then done on guitar, and this was early on and before his later years when he became known as a keyboard player as well as the guitar wizard.

If its all done on keys...then great, thats the way it should be, cause your work is phenominal!

Thanks dude! Yeah it's all written on the piano and keyboard. You might be surprised to know that 99% of what you hear on the albums is stuff I come up with on the spot. I prefer not to come into the studio prepared because I feel like my best work comes from the spontaneity of the moment if you will. -jonah w-

Thanks Jonah...I am even more stoked!:kickass:
I understand the limited time and preparation you guys have when entering the studio...to know its mostly spontaneous for you is surprising and very cool. I think the key to good music is having spontaneous creativity and of course talent.

Not to overdue the EVH stuff, but his reply to many questions of "how the hell did you come up with that amazing solo"?... was (spontaneosly)" kinda like falling down the stairs and landing on your feet." :)

HAPPY 4TH!

Seriously...not trying to suck up, and I am a guitar guy, but Jonah is the fuckin stones when it comes to key players! I'm talkin from the modern rock performers to the hidden metal players...he plays the best shit you'll hear!!!

Seriously...not trying to suck up, and I am a guitar guy, but Jonah is the fuckin stones when it comes to key players! I'm talkin from the modern rock performers to the hidden metal players...he plays the best shit you'll hear!!!

Yeah, Jonah is the best, really! :headbang:

You can feel his passion and emotion in the music he plays, really amazing!

:OMG: I cannot believe that he plays all that awesome stuff spontaneously, it just fits so perfect and seems so well thought-out! Unbelievable!

Muz, who is EHV? Sorry, seems that I should know but I do not...

Ah... alright! Eruption Eddie! :)

I've got a Best Of of Van Halen, I like Ain't Talkin' Bout Love and Running With The Devil... Didn't know he plays keys as well, I always thought he is 'just' the guitar wizard! Great musician by the way!

Yes, he is truly a great musician, and someone that is never afraid to release a variety of different types of songs...yet keep it recognizably Van Halen. Example, on the cd OU812 he writes a country-twang kinda rock song in 'Finish What Ya Started', and on the same disc you get a progressive uptempo rocker in 'Mine All Mine'...completely different songs, but both are very good.

Eddie mainly started recording keys during the 1984 cd including hits like 'Jump' and 'I'll Wait'. Then played keys a bit more frequently when Sammy Haggar joined the band after 1984.

A list of what I think are a few of his best key / piano songs to check out. Most of these have guitar layered in as well.

-'Mine All Mine' & 'Feels So Good'...from cd OU812
-'Dreams'...from cd 5150
-'Right Now'...from cd For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

For me now, it is less rock and more metal music...but I do spin some old Van Halen every once in a while. As far as hard-rock bands...VH is one of the best ever.

You're right, Van Halen does indeed have some good keyboard driven songs, though it never occurred to me that Eddie was the one playing them...now that I actually think about it, of course, who else would it be :lol:

You're right, Van Halen does indeed have some good keyboard driven songs, though it never occurred to me that Eddie was the one playing them...now that I actually think about it, of course, who else would it be :lol:

same here! :)

I always thought they have got a keyboard player...

Two of my favourite songs, though I havn't heard many by Van Halen.

'For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge' is probably thier best release as far as the Sammy Haggar (on vocals) albums that they have put out.

Many say (incl myself) that the album 'Fair Warning' is thier darkest & heaviest release and Eddies best work ever on guitar, he is absolutely killer on this album.

fave tracks;
-Mean Streets (of course the tapping intro is sick)
-Unchained
-Sinners Swing
-One Foot Out The Door

Eddie is the main guy of course in the band, but his brother Alex on drums-to me is as good at his craft than Eddie is at his...thats what makes them great in my opinion.

'For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge' is probably thier best release as far as the Sammy Haggar (on vocals) albums that they have put out.

Many say (incl myself) that the album 'Fair Warning' is thier darkest & heaviest release and Eddies best work ever on guitar, he is absolutely killer on this album.

fave tracks;
-Mean Streets (of course the tapping intro is sick)
-Unchained
-Sinners Swing
-One Foot Out The Door

Eddie is the main guy of course in the band, but his brother Alex on drums-to me is as good at his craft than Eddie is at his...thats what makes them great in my opinion.

Agreed...Fair Warning is probably the band's best work after Van Halen I...
I especially like "Dirty Movies" and the keyboard driven "Sunday Afternoon in the Park"

Agree as well...VH1 and FW are my fav's., and some of thier best.

Figured I throw out a few other lesser known but very good heavy VH songs that the metal-fans may like to check out...maybe you agree NM 156?

"I'm On Fire" & "Atomic Punk" - Van Halen 1
"Everybody Wants Some" - Women And Children First
"House Of Pain" - 1984
"Judgement Day" - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
"The Seventh Seal" - Balance

Agree as well...VH1 and FW are my fav's., and some of thier best.

Figured I throw out a few other lesser known but very good heavy VH songs that the metal-fans may like to check out...maybe you agree NM 156?

"I'm On Fire" & "Atomic Punk" - Van Halen 1
"Everybody Wants Some" - Women And Children First
"House Of Pain" - 1984
"Judgement Day" - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
"The Seventh Seal" - Balance

I agree with the first three but I just could never get into the Sammy Hagar era. (totally lost interest)
Except a glimmer in the song "Amsterdam"

I understand...you sound like Dave era fan?
I'm a fan of both eras but prefer the Dave stuff.

Did you happen to see the recent reunion tour? I saw the Worcester Mass. show and it was fantastic. I waited many years to finally hear some old classics and VH didn't disappoint.

I understand...you sound like Dave era fan?
I'm a fan of both eras but prefer the Dave stuff.

Did you happen to see the recent reunion tour? I saw the Worcester Mass. show and it was fantastic. I waited many years to finally hear some old classics and VH didn't disappoint.

Definitely a Dave era fan.
Regretfully, I didn't get to see the reunion tour but I did see the Sam and Dave tour back in '02...
I would liked to have seen VH with Michael Anthony.

They are supposably going to release a live DVD of this latest tour...that would be cool, but who knows with this band?

Yep, Mike is a classy-cool dude and always been a fan fave...wish he'd been part of the reunion.

They are supposably going to release a live DVD of this latest tour...that would be cool, but who knows with this band?

Yep, Mike is a classy-cool dude and always been a fan fave...wish he'd been part of the reunion.

I'd like to hear a new studio album with Michael Anthony and David Lee Roth.
That would make my day!

:kickass::kickass::kickass: