Jorg Michael quits Stratovarius...

labrekk

Jul 16, 2002
Canada
Visit site
http://www.bravewords.com/news/169035

Hope it's not because his cancer got worse (I don't like to read that he leaves for "personal reasons")...I don't care for Stratovarius for a long time, but like the drumming of Jorg Michael.

We lost way too many good musicans these last couple years...Hope Jorg's health is fine, that he can go on with his life and that we'll get to hear his great drumming skills on several albums in the future.

They are finishing up the tour with him though. Mad respect for Strato, even when the band was in turmoil with Timo Tolkki they still kept their tour commitments. A lot of bands either cancel in that situation or rush to find a fill-in. A very professional group.

They are finishing up the tour with him though. Mad respect for Strato, even when the band was in turmoil with Timo Tolkki they still kept their tour commitments. A lot of bands either cancel in that situation or rush to find a fill-in. A very professional group.
They are still paying off the debts to Universal, which Michael partly own. So, they have really no choice in the matter.

I really hate to keep picking on you but as usual, you post something that makes little sense. First of all, not that playing shows while cancer stricken isn't admirable or anything, but it's only 5 shows... in their backyard. They will be treated like kings. Secondly, of course they're going to keep their commitments, they have bills to pay and it was probably Jorg who booked those shows to begin with since he is a booking agent himself in Europe.

But more importantly, how can you compare this to what other bands go through? Are you implying that having to cancel a tour because the drummer quits = unprofessionalism? That's a pretty grandiose claim dude. It's not like career bands want to cancel shows. It hurts them significantly since that's how they make money. Nergal from Behemoth canceled all activities for a year including the biggest US headliner they were ever offered because of cancer, are you insinuating that he's unprofessional?

edit: and I am also pretty sure that when Jorg was diagnosed with cancer they found a replacement drummer for the tour then so...

They are still paying off the debts to Universal, which Michael partly own. So, they have really no choice in the matter.

What? Stratovarius was never signed to Universal, and what would this tour have anything to do with paying debts off to anyone? Also he does not part-own Universal...

What? Stratovarius was never signed to Universal, and what would this tour have anything to do with paying debts off to anyone? Also he does not part-own Universal...

Sanctuary Music paid Stratovarius a ton of money as an advance on recording the album that would eventually become New Era. Subsequently, Universal bought Sanctuary, and Universal didn't really want any part of releasing a Stratovarius album, so they sued to get the advance back, citing the fact that the band had missed some delivery deadlines and was no longer the same crew that had signed the deal (since Kainulainen had left in the interim). There was literally no way that the band was going to get out of paying this money back, so when Tolkki left, he basically said that if the other members wanted the Stratovarius name, they'd have to pay off what the band owed to Universal. They did, and they are.

No, Universal took over when Sanctuary crashed and burned. When Tolkki quit, he saddled the band with the debts owed to Sanctuary. So, unless they settled the debts, Jorg is on the hook as is the rest of the band. Hence where I say that Jorg partially owned the debt. I never said Jorg owned Universal.

Sanctuary Music paid Stratovarius a ton of money as an advance on recording the album that would eventually become New Era. Subsequently, Universal bought Sanctuary, and Universal didn't really want any part of releasing a Stratovarius album, so they sued to get the advance back, citing the fact that the band had missed some delivery deadlines and was no longer the same crew that had signed the deal (since Kainulainen had left in the interim). There was literally no way that the band was going to get out of paying this money back, so when Tolkki left, he basically said that if the other members wanted the Stratovarius name, they'd have to pay off what the band owed to Universal. They did, and they are.

No, Universal took over when Sanctuary crashed and burned. When Tolkki quit, he saddled the band with the debts owed to Sanctuary. So, unless they settled the debts, Jorg is on the hook as is the rest of the band. Hence where I say that Jorg partially owned the debt. I never said Jorg owned Universal.

Aha, thanks for clarifying this, I had no idea!!!

Of course, I would imagine that these debts are if not paid for already are being paid for by other means. The band still isn't going to sacrifice their entire earnings over a debt that I couldn't imagine exceeding 50,000 euro unless they want to charge yearly interest for unpaid debt.

But more importantly, how can you compare this to what other bands go through? Are you implying that having to cancel a tour because the drummer quits = unprofessionalism?

The band isn't unprofessional, but in such a situation, the drummer is. Seems like most bands, people quit with little notice and leave the rest of the guys, and the fans, hanging. A minority, no matter what kind of turmoil is going on in the band, they finish their contractual commitments. Bruce did it on the Fear of the Dark tour.

It's okay to pick on me, I'm no expert and maybe I'm misreading the situation. Just speaking as a fan who has seen a lot of shows fall through in this time. I remember Steve Perry cancelling on the very day of a show because he got together with the Journey guys and he just cut off his tour without notice so they could start recording a new album. It couldn't possibly have waited a couple more months so he could do the shows fans bought tickets to see.

It's just, you seem to make alot of general statements. You have no idea why people leave bands and neither do I. Not everyone is content making 100 bucks a week on tour when they have a family or bills to pay. Not everyone wants to be away from family for such an extended period of time and sometimes the burden of touring hits hard. It's not an issue of "professionalism." Sometimes health issues get in the way and they have no choice but to cancel. Again, are you implying Nergal is unprofessional for making Behemoth cancel its activities for a year even with "commitments" because he has cancer?

All I'm saying is, chill with the broad strokes man. Paint with a finer brush. The examples you gave are the exception to the rule. Stratovarius (and most other bands in metal) doesn't make the kind of money Maiden and Journey make. They make a decent amount, but it's not a contest compared to Journey. Apples and oranges.

If there's an explanation, that's one thing. When none are offered, or something so non-specific as to be worthless(like the ever useful "circumstances beyond our control") but fans get stiffed, that's a problem. I went to a Symphony X/Blind Guardian show in Fort Lauderdale, no Symphony X. Last minute cancellation. Circumstances beyond their control, no further explanation. I won't be setting aside time or money for that band anymore unless it's Progpower, where I know they'll either be there or we'll find out the reason why.

I don't claim to know what's going on exactly in every situation, but I treat musicians the same way I'd treat anyone else whose services or products I'm buying. I'm an understanding guy, so if someone has to drop out because they are sick or their can't afford to be on tour anymore, that's understandable. But as a customer, if I don't get what I'm supposed to get, I'm owed an explanation. In my job, I don't just say, "Oh, circumstances beyond our control, sorry." The customer deserves better than that.

In any case, just giving credit to Strato for fulfilling their touring commitments for the second time regardless of what's going on in the band. A lot of bands don't do that.

In any case, just giving credit to Strato for fulfilling their touring commitments for the second time regardless of what's going on in the band. A lot of bands don't do that.

Yeah...it's a shame you have to be denigrated for doing so, huh?

Nothing wrong with the denigration, I said something that could be construed as passing judgment on other bands without knowing all of the information. So I made it clear that I didn't know all the information, just bitching as a fan who has been stiffed a few times.

Of course, I would imagine that these debts are if not paid for already are being paid for by other means. The band still isn't going to sacrifice their entire earnings over a debt that I couldn't imagine exceeding 50,000 euro unless they want to charge yearly interest for unpaid debt.

It was a lot more than that. There was a deal on the table to dissolve the debt but Tolkki left right before it was completed and it was withdrawn.

From http://www.bravewords.com/news/179475 :

Finnish power metallers STRATOVARIUS have checked in with the following update:

"We have now played the final Latin America gigs with Jörg Michael, who is leaving the band after 16 years. 2011 started with the release of the Elysium album and was a long year with a long world tour together with HELLOWEEN. After some time off, we are now looking to the future, composing material for the next album, and we are also looking for the next drummer.

We have some great candidates already, but since we have a bit of time, we decided to also cast a wider net to see what comes up. So, if you have some touring and recording experience, are - more important - musical and hard hitting, and - most important - a nice dude, you might be the one we are looking for!

If you think this sounds like you, playing in a world famous metal band for a living sounds like something you'd enjoy, and if you want us to listen, please put on some headphones and record a video of yourself playing any of these three Stratovarius songs: 'Coming Home', 'Father Time' or 'Deep Unknown'. You can for instance upload them to YouTube.

Send the video links and a short letter with your personal information to this email address: drummer@stratovarius.com

What do you have to lose? The world awaits you! Plus money, fame, great times, and all the beer you can drink."

If there's an explanation, that's one thing. When none are offered, or something so non-specific as to be worthless(like the ever useful "circumstances beyond our control") but fans get stiffed, that's a problem. I went to a Symphony X/Blind Guardian show in Fort Lauderdale, no Symphony X. Last minute cancellation. Circumstances beyond their control, no further explanation. I won't be setting aside time or money for that band anymore unless it's Progpower, where I know they'll either be there or we'll find out the reason why.

In that case, the headliner screwed them and the band opted to take the high road. Lots of things like that happened on that tour - this whole "being in a band thing" has a lot more politics involved than people think, especially during tours...

Well, I was glad when I saw that Jorg Michael was the drummer on the excellent DEVIL'S TRAIN-s/t disc...Not a Strato fan anymore, so I don't really mind him leaving...

From http://www.bravewords.com/news/185647 :

"It was not easy to find a new drummer who is not only an excellent musician and a cool guy, but also courageous enough trying to fill the big hole Jörg Michael has left. 24 year old Rolf Pilve from Finland is that courageous and gifted drummer.

Says singer Timo Kotipelto: "Although the competition was fierce, Rolf was clearly the best one of the bunch. His precise playing, sureness and right attitude was there right away. He has an astonishing technique and to top that of he has a very musical way of playing, so he can bring something of his own into our old songs as well. Rolf has played a variety of different styles of metal, so fast tempos or more progressive parts will not be a problem. Whatever songs we might compose in the future – I have no doubt that he will be able to play them."

Adds Rolf Pilve: "I had prepared for the audition thoroughly, learning all the songs we agreed on, with the live-endings and everything. In addition to that I had also learned some extra songs just to be safe. Playing with the guys was excellent, and already the next day after the audition I got to hear that I had been the best one of the drummers they had auditioned. What followed was yet another audition where we would play more casually and jam."

The band received more than 100 applications, some of them very competent and high caliber Finns, but also included were some foreign drummers who had already made a name for themselves. "