Joseph Satriani -VS- Steven Vai

RETIREDTrapped

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2001
An interesting topic...

While Vai is 150% over satriani in technique, i personally haven't heard anything like Satriani's style of playing before... Vai can sometimes come off as an offcut from a Glam-Rock band like Poison, you know? Awesome guitarwork, major chops, but it just doesn't quite make it stylistically, or aesthetically within his writings... Vai seems to write a solo, and then write a backing to it, and that's all it is, a backing, with little substance, aside from giving the solo a bit of depth, so it isn't just a flurry of notes...

Satriani may not have the technique of vai, especially not when it comes to sweeping, but he knows how to right, and really, i enjoy Satriani's style of playing, where his legato runs are actually used as licks, as opposed to just a run up to another lick, like vai seems to do...

While vai seems the better guitarist in terms of chops, he is very generic in his writing... a slow, melodic leadup, a shred up to the 14th' fret, then some sweeping, or an arpeggiated lick to accentuate the chordal changes (and lack thereof :rolleyes: ), then maybe a shred/legato run down to another lick or some more sweeping etc.... it really does nothing for me... I honestly haven't heard too much of Vai's newer material, so this may have changed seomwhat, but really, i have never had the motivation to listen to him, he just doesn't seem to have that stylistic and "odd" characteristic that Satriani has...

Take Surfing with the alien for instance, it is actually a PEICE OF MUSIC, as opposed to just some bald dude (with hair at that point :D ) masturbating to a metronome... it begins with a REALLY COOL melody, which could class as a verse, it then changes into a chorus etc... then when the play sound-effect is triggered, he does a solo, with the descending tapping motif, and big changes in timbre and mood, with the introduction of another scale, and different chords etc... Vai could never acheive that, basically, he solos throughout the whole song, with no thought of progression or change...

...Yeah?

or

...Nah?

Why are you calling him Joseph? I have heard a bunch of songs from each and I like what I hear from Joe Satriani better. I don't have enough musical knowledge to go into an elaborate expanation so I will leave it at "I just do."

What are you guys favorite Joe Satriani albums, I only have "the extremist." Its good but it doesnt seem as good as the other songs I dled from him.

Vai is more of a composer, in the same vein of Frank Zappa, thus, his compositions tend to be defined by a desire to break or bend musical rules. He likes to do things out of the ordinary and experimental, but by doing that, his music only appeals to people who give a rat's ass :)

Satriani on the other hand, writes songs. Melodies, themes, his music is music that anyone that enjoys a good tune can dig.

I absolutely love the new Satriani album, Strange Beautiful Music, and since I've kind of grown tired with Vai's guitar tricks, I think at this point, I dig Satch a lot more.

Vai defintiely kills Satch technique wise. Satch's biggest influence was Hendrix, while Vai's was Zappa.

Probably my favorite Vai tune is "Touching Tongues"... The things he does with the whammy pedal and the delay is outright JAW DROPPING. And then, Devin Townsend comes in for some wailing that only he can get away with, and make it rule.

:lol: @ Neal...

yeah, sorry narrot, my ass exploded everywhere again... :p