Journalist Dismisses SAXON Documentary As 'Coffee-Table Television At Best' - Mar. 20

Nov 27, 2005
Reading, UK
Journalist Dismisses SAXON Documentary As 'Coffee-Table Television At Best' - Mar. 20, 2007

Damien of Decibel magazine has submitted the following report to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"Just got back from taking part in the soon-to-be-aired [British] Channel 4 SAXON documentary, 'Get Your Act Together'. The programme will be in two parts; the first showing impresario Harvey Goldsmith as he attempts to raise SAXON's U.K. profile to the level it was at in the early '80s, the second part a studio debate in which Goldsmith, SAXON and an invited audience discuss the success or otherwise of the venture.

"What can I say? The first part of the show bears little resemblance to reality. The producer and/or editor have gone out of their way to make the band look totally washed up and on the skids, presumably so that Goldsmith comes across like a knight in shining armour riding to the rescue of the hapless headbangers. SAXON's considerable success in most territories outside the U.K. is ignored, while the centrepiece of Goldsmith's strategy is the launch of a questionable single remixed for radio by producers previously involved with TRAVIS, RAZORLIGHT and, erm, THE STRANGLERS. There are many misrepresentations of the band and the metal scene in general and the rebuttal on [SAXON's] website is, shall we say, very polite compared to the tongue-lashing that frontman Biff [Byford, SAXON singer] gave Goldsmith in the studio yesterday. Yet again, Joe Public is being invited to have a good old laugh at longhairs.

"In the final analysis, Goldsmith's efforts largely come to naught and the real boost to SAXON's U.K. profile will simply come from the airing of the show itself. Coffee-table television at best."

Oh dear, i hope this isnt a complete waste of 6 months

I wish i could tell you about last night.I have seen the so called"documentary" and i was also the E4 thing last night.When it goes out on the box i shall post the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.Which is more than i can say about..............oooooppppppsssssssss stop me.

Moral reasons i supose.I don't think it would be fair on Saxon,you or evan the stupid fucking tv company.......ooppss there i go again.You will have to watch and make your minds.

I read that article on Blabbermouth earlier on today. This is just gonny be such a friggin joke I don't know if I can actually bear to watch the programme. I knew all along it was a disaster waiting to happen, I knew they wre trying to take the piss right out of Saxon and make them look like a bunch of old fools.

Can you tell us any wee clues as to just how bloody diabolical this farce is Wilks.................PLEASE.

SAXON'S METAL WILL NEVER RUST!!!!!!

it shows(yet again) that there are no morals where the entetainment industry is concerned.The whole aim is obviously to benefit goldsmith & raise his profile (not saxon's).
Personally, i cant wait to see Biff take harvey down a peg or two.
Thats if they dont cut it out.
It also proves that SAXON will have to continue to rely on our european friends to be taken seriously & to be taken care of, as the way they are treated at home is a disgrace.

I to was at Monday's recording, all I will say for now is watch the programme, the band are ok..... about it, (They've said on the website their thoughts) watch it and make up your own mind.

As Wilks said, there is a lot that can be told about the whole experience but not before the show is aired, anyone taking part was and is technically/legally bound to silence before broadcast.

Things could have been different but for know lets celebrate the fact that SAXON will be on mainstream TV in the UK for the first time probably since top of the pops.

well, i hate to say it, but i expected this

I can't say that I'm not surprised by this.
I have to admit that I have fallen by the wayside for some years, but by reading the postings on this site, I can see that the passion is still there for you and I can fully appreciate your feelings when people start taking the piss out of this glorious band.