JPT Speaks the Truth..!!!

HippieOfDoom

The 13th Monkey
Feb 12, 2002
Golden State
www.stevedigiorgio.com
OBSCURA/Ex-PESTILENCE bassist Jeroen Paul Thesseling comments at the website of the German bass manufacturer Warwick that most bass players should be more audible in death metal recordings. "In many of the death metal productions the bass guitar is simply absent or almost unaudible in the mix, which is a shame. Perhaps this is one of those aspects that will chance by the time in the evolution of the genre. We are lucky to have bassists like Steve DiGiorgio and Alex Webster who have given extremely important directions to death metal bass playing."

Further information can be found at www.jeroenthesseling.com and www.warwick.de

Thesseling joined the German progressive death metal band OBSCURA in 2007, with which he toured North America and recorded their second full-length album "Cosmogenesis", released via Relapse Records in February 2009. OBSCURA will embark on a European tour this August alongside ATHEIST. Jeroen also played on PESTILENCE's fourth album, "Spheres" (1993).

Photo Jeroen Paul Thesseling (see attachement):

topimage.jpg

Bassists finally revolt!
However, being unaudible is bassist's fault sometimes.
He's lucky to have guitarists without egos.

I've found myself on serious fights ,mainly with guitarists on mixing, as they and their solos 'must be the most prominent thing, since it's rock/metal'. Bullshit.

Now with one of my bands I'm in charge of the mixing/mastering process and I always try to do a balanced work, where we can sound like a band and not like a single guy playing with some background musicians. The same goes for the songwriting process, where the same ego shit happens a lot.