Judas Priest - Nostradamus

I heard the title track, or whatever was on their myspace. If that's the best track on the album then it's a waste of time.

I listened to it yesterday at a local cd-shop
and well I liked it but its a very experimental
priest album..
they used synthesized guitars for recording
and that makes it very different from their other
recordings like jugulator etc.
but the riffs are awesome :headbang:

I pre-ordered it from Amazon.com. Should have it pretty soon. I figure its a priest album it can't be to bad.

It's pretty good, definitly put a lot of thought into the album, really great solos on a few of the songs. Only bad point is Halford sounds out of place on a couple of songs.

The cabaret singing, overstated keys, drown out guitar, god awful lyrics, god awful concept and unforgivably dragged out pacing make this a release that only a ridiculously huge fan could love. I am a ridiculously huge fan (I even love Point of Entry and Turbo), and one must understand that the band has already achieved everything of importance that they could (in the 70's).

They're old now. They're fucking old now. So I don't understand high expectations in the first place, especially for a band of this style. However, I found parts that I enjoyed very much, so I'll probably be hanging on to this.

It is average, but the second disc is way better than the first

Agreed the album ends on a better note than it starts.

The cabaret singing, overstated keys, drown out guitar, god awful lyrics, god awful concept and unforgivably dragged out pacing make this a release that only a ridiculously huge fan could love. I am a ridiculously huge fan (I even love Point of Entry and Turbo), and one must understand that the band has already achieved everything of importance that they could (in the 70's).

They're old now. They're fucking old now. So I don't understand high expectations in the first place, especially for a band of this style. However, I found parts that I enjoyed very much, so I'll probably be hanging on to this.

Heh, I tend to think Painkiller is better than anything anyway short of maybe Allan Holdsworth did in the 70s. The singing is exellent at some point and stiff at others. Though the guitars are under the water here and there. I personally can not rate an album based on production however.

I finally got around to hearing this yesterday and I really enjoyed it. It's definitely a step up from Angel Of Retribution. I hate how people say this album is 'on par' for Judas Priest like it's a bad thing. The fuckheads don't realize exactly what that means. It's like playing basketball on par with [young] Michael Jordan. What's the matter, can't do better? I'm getting the free ticket for the Metal Masters tour too. The guy at FYE couldn't seem to understand why people were coming in all day and buying multiple copies of the album. It was on sale for $15 while a general lawn ticket to the closest venue is about $35 after all taxes and fees.

Ready to weigh in my final verdict:

Prophecy: Decent, dumb rock riff, hilariously bad chorus, but interesting things courtesy of Mr. Airey. Catchy, overall.

Revelations: Very interesting experimentation, folks, the lyrics aren't all that bad; not nearly as cliche ridden and pointless as I expected, rather impressive at times, actually. Plods a bit, but the keys juxtaposed with the guitar layers keep it interesting.

War: This song sucks. Boring, Jerry Bruckheimer-esque pulp.

Pestilence and Plague: Decent attempt at a sort of Euro Power Metal song; not too flowery, but Kamelot definitely comes to mind.

Death: NOW we're talking. This song completely rules. Great leads, awesome vocals, fucking Doom riff.

Conquest: Excellent! Great song to follow death, although the speed could definitely pick up by this point. This sounds like something straight off of Defenders of the Faith, a la Rock Hard Ride Free, but more dynamic.

Lost Love: I like that this refers back to Last Rose of Summer, but the album order is making the thing really plod as a whole by this point.

Persecution: One of the best songs they've written in 20 years. Fantastic oldschool chorus, great rapid fire vocals a la...well, rapid fire, and freewheel burning. OMGZAWSM solos.

Exiled: Excellent ballad, fuck off. It's somewhat like Here Come The Tears, but much, much more schmaltzy and melodramatic. Still decent though, if one can handle the schmaltz.

Alone: Fantastic song. Like Touch of Evil, but much more realized. Better. Wonderful chorus. Really, this isn't about Nostradamus, but any sort of rebellious party caught up in its own self-righteous indignation, up against the hand of authority. Sure, incredibly overplayed, not at all introspective, but WHO BETTER to do this!? Great solo, amazing high note at the end. He's still got it.

Visions: Another excellent track. Same thematic content, despite who this album is allegedly supposed to be about. It's about the same pace as Alone, a little bit faster and even more like Touch of Evil...but better!

New Beginnings: Ok, we had to have a bad track in here somewhere. They had me with Alone and Visions, but this is just Broadway cheese. Some good vocal lines and leads, but ultimately not a good track.

Nostradamus: We've all heard it. It definitely picks up the pace, but it's Painkiller all over again. Great chorus, awesome solos, cool interplay in the bridge with the organ set synth. It's a fun number.

Future of Mankind: This song is simply fantastic. Probably the best song they've written since 1990. Halford seriously steps up the vocal department on this one to give a grand finale. The key changes make the song, flowing perfectly in a way Priest hasn't presented before, a really original track with probably almost the top best solos Glenn and KK have laid down in their careers. The piano fits perfectly in the prechorus, trumpeting for the incredible crescendo to follow, Halford laying one of his best vocal lines ever. Incredible track.

So yeah, while I find this to be a flawed and funny effort, it's got tracks that still have me pumping my fist like a fourteen year old. I fucking love Judas Priest.