Judas Priest - Nostradamus

Excellent review, Mr Pierce. However, I don't agree with your 4/5 rating. JP should be congratulated on creating music that's unlike anything they've done before on "Nostradamus." I won't go into a long-winded observation, just suffice to say, this is an overblown affair with incredibly boring parts. The first 4 listens went well for me, subsequent listens are just too difficult. I can't get past 20 minutes and I'm completely bored. This thing should/could have been cut to about 60 minutes. That's roughly 40 minutes of throwaway material. IMO, the compositions are weak, the guitar playing is mediocre at best, and the drumming is lifeless. Halford's vocals are the only redeeming quality to "Nostradamus."

I own but I only listened to twice on the day I got it. I really can't be bothered even though I know there are some songs I like. It's an alright album, minus the filler but it's not really what I like Priest for. It could grow on me (SOME of it) if I give it chance. We'll see.

The comments about this being long are fair, but,wow-this is a lot better than the general bashing I read online. It sure ain’t your typical Priest, but it really IS a well orchestrated/ very well played set of tunes.
Really a surprise album in every way possible (& in a good way), it’s very atmospheric, downright mellow at times, it intermingles heavy & calm & evokes human emotion at every turn. Plenty of heaviness to go around & on a lot more cuts than originally meet the eye. The guitar playing is very tastefully done.
The heavier tunes aren’t from the Painkiller era, they are a real fallback to Priests early years if you know that era well (aka the 70's!),but in the end, it’s just gonna go down as another great Priest album.

I also find it very boring. I'm glad bands like Priest are still trying to stay fresh, but this album is mediocre at best.
I LOVED AoR, I think that's one of their best ever TBH, but Nostradamus is bloated and even the heavy songs aren't very good.