"Juggling 9 or Dropping 10"- a great "ocean album".

The Wickerman

Where's the Beef?
May 12, 2003
Austin, TX
Visit site
I recently took a trip to Corpus Christi, and I brought this album along with me, and it reminded of how perfectly it fits with a coastal setting. Driving amidst palm trees and sand dunes, or hanging out by the ocean, it just really goes with it all so well. I never really realized how many lyrical references to the ocean are in there. "Broken Wave" is obvious, but then there's also "Rough Draft" (till you crash and break like the waves), "Colors Fade" (the blue green of the sea), etc.

I'm the kind of guy who likes listening to music that corresponds to my surroundings, be it topography, the weather, the time of day, or whatever. This probably seems weird to some people, but I really love it when a song just really fits in with whatever's going on around me. That is why this album made my vacation that much better.

Try listening to "Broken Wave" sometime while walking along the beach around sunset, and tell me you don't agree. :cool:

Regardless of the numerous lyrical references to the sea and water in general, the album has always had a more earthly, autumn-like air to me, as reflected nicely by the pictures in the booklet. The perfect soundtrack for afternoon walks through a late summer haze. Also eligible for garden work. :lol:

By the way, this is a very interesting topic in general because I often associate certain songs or albums with non-musical things like seasons or colours. Just like J9 reminds me of meadows and late summer / fall, Blueprint has always evoked pictures of grandiose cliffs and the weathered sea in my mind.

As often happens with me, I'll buy a CD and if it resonates with me, I pound the heck out of it for weeks. There are usually things going on in my life -- significant or not, good or bad or neutral -- that become "seared" into the music so that I recall them when I hear the music. It's kind of a soundtrack to a diary inside my head.

As often happens with me, I'll buy a CD and if it resonates with me, I pound the heck out of it for weeks. There are usually things going on in my life -- significant or not, good or bad or neutral -- that become "seared" into the music so that I recall them when I hear the music. It's kind of a soundtrack to a diary inside my head.

Yeah, same here.

Here is the oddest one for me:

Playing Super Bomberman with friends way back in the day, and listening to 'Ace of Base' (yeah, I was that cool) To this day, whenever I hear Ace of Base, I recall those games I played. Good stuff! :lol: